Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Dear forum friends I would like to ask for some of your time to at least evaluate the writing below. Please tell whether this is a bad writing or a flowery one. Thank You.

"The government, of any kind, cannot support any tolerance of faith, if that republic employs those men favoring one. Their views, therefore, would be inevitable to conform to their faith, which will indirectly show its hostility towards religious system. Therefore this religious tolerance would only be a title with no definitive substance."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are an awful lot of commas. And extra phrases like "of any kind" when the sentence is clearly talking about a "republic."

It is not impossible for religious men to favor tolerance.

RA-13

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Thanks for that Dave! But I was asking for your evaluations to the structure not the content. So once again is it at least readable? (please except the comma issues in answering the question.) Thank you!

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
Thanks for that Dave! But I was asking for your evaluations to the structure not the content. So once again is it at least readable? (please except the comma issues in answering the question.) Thank you!
Whether one thing is bad depends on the comparison you make.

If you read more 17th or 18th century essays, you will find even lengthier sentences and more difficult words.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

I find it almost unreadable. Where did you find it?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's a good observation about writing from the last two centuries. There are extremely long, albeit grammatical sentences, that are very difficult to make your way through.

There are way too many commas, but the language is not "flowery."

Flowery is more like "Kind and good sir, if you in your benevolence would see fit to help your poor and lowly friend in this most simple but most gratifyinig way, I would be humbled. It would be a favor beyond estimation, bringing joy and elation forever, a never-ceasing flow of gratitude. If ever you desired to inspire another with the unending goodness that forms your true and blessed heart, then please, sir, kindly do the needful."

I could give you links to specific passages that have actually appeared here. And sadly, my example isn't that far off.

So is this passage flowery? No. But it's not good modern writing either.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear forum friends I would like to ask for some of your time to at least evaluate the writing below. Please tell whether this is a bad writing or a flowery one. Thank You.

"The government, of any kind, cannot support any tolerance of faith, if that republic employs those men favoring one. Their views, therefore, would be inevitable to conform to their faith, which will indirectly show its hostility towards religious system. Therefore this religious tolerance would only be a title with no definitive substance."

[STRIKE]"The [/STRIKE] Government, of any kind, cannot support [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] tolerance of faith, if [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] the respective republic employs [STRIKE]those[/STRIKE] men favoring [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] such tolerance. Their views, therefore, would be [STRIKE]inevitable to conform to their faith[/STRIKE] biased, which [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would indirectly show its [STRIKE]hostility[/STRIKE] prejudice towards any religious system. Therefore, [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] "religious tolerance" would only be a title with no [STRIKE]definitive substance.[/STRIKE] evidence to support it.[/QUOTE]

Readable? Difficult. Flowery? Wordy. Bad English? Poor choice of words/terms.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's a good observation about writing from the last two centuries. There are extremely long, albeit grammatical sentences, that are very difficult to make your way through.

There are way too many commas, but the language is not "flowery."

Flowery is more like "Kind and good sir, if you in your benevolence would see fit to help your poor and lowly friend in this most simple but most gratifyinig way, I would be humbled. It would be a favor beyond estimation, bringing joy and elation forever, a never-ceasing flow of gratitude. If ever you desired to inspire another with the unending goodness that forms your true and blessed heart, then please, sir, kindly do the needful."

I could give you links to specific passages that have actually appeared here. And sadly, my example isn't that far off.

I'll try that line next time I'm trying to evade a parking ticket....

RA-13

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines

What exactly do you mean?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

What exactly do you mean?
Exactly what the words say, I imagine.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(not a teacher)

Here's my take:

"No form of government can support religious tolerance while employing men who favor a particular faith. The views of the government would inevitably align with those of that religion. Other religious systems would then find themselves on the receiving end of the government's ire, albeit indirectly. At that point, the government would be a theocracy in all but name."

Status
Not open for further replies.