[Grammar] Incorrect Semantics? Or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRubik

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi all,

could anybody please explain what is incorrect about the sentence below. Also, as importantly, why is it wrong?

"Can I say you something?"

I would like to know what kind of classification this particular error would fall into.

An in depth as possible answer would be ideal.

Many thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi all,

Could anybody please explain what is incorrect about the sentence below. Also, as importantly, why is it wrong?

I would like to know what kind of classification this particular error would fall into.

Many thanks.

Quite simply, we don't use "say" like that.

Can I say something?
Can I say something to you?
Can I tell you something?

There have been a lot of discussions on this forum about the use of "say" vs "tell" and you should be able to find them using the Search function.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi all,

could anybody please explain what is incorrect about the sentence below. Also, as importantly, why is it wrong?

Many thanks.

The general rule for "say" and "tell" is that you say sonething and tell someone. So. your example is not a correct use of "say".
It should be, "Can I tell you something?" OR "Can I say something to you?"

MrRubik

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you for your replies but I think the purpose of my post has been misunderstood. I'm well aware that it's incorrect, I'm English after all. I want to know what kind of error it is? Is this an example of poor semantics? If so, why? Along these lines.

@emsr2d2 I can understand why you would direct people to the search function but I couldn't actually find any relevant post from using it. Also, I suspect that I'm not going to find the kind of answer I want there as it's not a usage answer like what I imagine most of the posts you referred to will be.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Apologies, MrRubik, I didn't look at your member profile as I assumed you were a learner. No offence (!) just that the misuse of "say you" is something that crops up here so often from learners.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you want to be technical about it, "tell" can take an indirect object, while "say" doesn't.

Why? It's just the way we use the words.

Status
Not open for further replies.