Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1.Is this underlined true in America? I worked in Canadian companies before, but I rarely heard people called by their nicknames.
2. Nicknames in Korea are usually for teasing someone, but this writing seems to say they are also for good uses like inimate relationship. So does the nuance of nicknames depend?

rp62)One of the best examples of the preference for informality among Americans is their use of nicknames...Americans consider the use of their nicknames to be an indication of acceptance of close friendship. By speaking to each other on a first name or nickname basis, people feel that a relationship is more equal, more comfortable, and often more intimate. Even at work, employees may be addressed by their nicknames, so if a boss uses a staff member's formal name, then it is fairly certain that a problem of some kind is about to be discussed...

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If a nickname or shortened name is generally used, then I would assume that the boss was using their full name for a specific purpose. It might not be that the employee is in trouble, it might just be that a higher-ranking boss is in attendance so the boss is trying to look professional by using full names.

However, I can see how it can seem as if there is a problem because (in the UK, at least) that assumption works for the relationship between a child and its parents. Parents usually call their children by their first name, or a contraction of it, but when the child is in trouble, they might use the full name.

Mum: Suzie, stop doing that.
Suzie: But mum, I like it.
Mum: Suzie, I said stop doing it.
Suzie: No!
Mum: Suzanne Louise Shepherd, stop doing that right now!!!

The words and the tone of the last sentence will tell the child that her mum is serious and that she is about to be in real trouble if she doesn't stop.

MartinEnglish

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with emsr2d2 - but I think you might need to get clear what a nickname really is and what the writer was referring to. It's very common in English-speaking cultures for adults to have nicknames among their friends and family (this seems especially true to me, as a Brit, of American culture where people often seemed to be called "Chip" and the like!)
But that is very different to childhood nicknames which are often cruel and unkind. There'd be a big difference between a boss calling an employee by a nickname such as "Robbo" and calling him by a nickname such as "fatty".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In addition, I'm really not sure how many bosses would even be happy calling their employees by a true nickname, rather than just a friendly contraction of their name.

If an employee's real first name is Michael, he might be called Mike or Mikey or Mick or Mickey by his colleagues and his boss, but I doubt any of them will call him "Spudface" which might well be a nickname his family and friends use.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In most cases in the US, if you want to be known as "Bubba" or "Skinny" your boss will oblige.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In most cases in the US, if you want to be known as "Bubba" or "Skinny" your boss will oblige.
I like to be known as 'Gorgeous'. I wonder how an American employer would handle that. ;-)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That would conflict with sexual harassment speech codes. ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I chose my avatar because it looks vaguely like me. I rest my case (and my weary limbs).

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I didn't care too much about this issue until many teachers responded to this thread. Considering emsr2ds's last response, I think probably the writer confused "short names" like "Mike", "Bill", or "Steve" with "nicknames" like "Spudface", "Bubba", or "Skinny".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Considering emsr2ds's last response, I think probably the writer confused "short names" like "Mike", "Bill", or "Steve" with "nicknames" like "Spudface", "Bubba", or "Skinny".
Soothing Dave, who is American, appears to think differently - see post #5.

I think that ems (post #4) is probably right about Britain. However, as I haven't worked there for fourteen years, I can't be sure about how things are today.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think it really depends on your work environment. If everyone is very relaxed, casual and friendly, then they might all refer to each other by contracted names, nicknames etc, regardless of their grade. I think the more serious the work environment, the less chance there is of such informality.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it really depends on your work environment. If everyone is very relaxed, casual and friendly, then they might all refer to each other by contracted names, nicknames etc, regardless of their grade. I think the more serious the work environment, the less chance there is of such informality.

Correct. No one wants a lawyer or accountant called "One-eye" or "Spike."

Status
Not open for further replies.