Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,i am Matthew from Spain. I play guitar in Rebery, an alternative rock band. We write our songs in English even our level isn´t very good. That´s why i am here (sorry if it´s not the right part of the forum) to ask someone who can check the lyrics of our new record (self produced of course...) and tell us what are we doing wrong or if we are singing no sense lyrics.

I really thank if someone takes the time and patience to do it, we are not professional and we cannot pay for it but i promise to send a free download link, a physical copy when we print the CD and of course your name will appear in the thanks credits of the record.

www rebery es

Thanks a lot, best wishes.

Matthew

Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We do not do proofreading here. From your note it sounds as though that is what you want. We can, and will, answer specific questions about English. Feel free to post questions about specific problems with English that you may have.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And the good news is that song lyrics don't have to be grammatical, so you have a lot more freedom in your use of English.

Rebery

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thanks, but i don´t understand what you mean with no grammatical, can you use an example, please.

Thanks again.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Thanks, but i don´t understand what you mean with no grammatical, can you use an example, please.

"Between You and I" by Jessica Simpson.

Rebery

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
We do not do proofreading here. From your note it sounds as though that is what you want. We can, and will, answer specific questions about English. Feel free to post questions about specific problems with English that you may have.
Ok, i understand. Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
@ Rebery,

We often receive posts from members saying something like, "I thought construction X was not possible in English, but it appears in this song ...." or " I am writing a song; can I say this ...?" or "I heard this ... in a song. What does it mean?"

Our normal reponse is something like, "In standard English, the construction/phrase you are asking about is incorrect/meaningless. However, in a song, very few people indeed expect too much sense. Writers break all sorts of rules for the sake of rhyme, rhythm and overall impression. The double negative in I can't get no satisfaction is not acceptable in standard English. That did not stop the Rolling Stones from making a lot of money from it".

Status
Not open for further replies.