What's the correct way to pronounce the "ed" at the end of the past simple of a verb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drageng123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
What's the correct way to pronounce the "ed" at the end of the past simple of a verb?

Hello everyone.
I know that the past simple tense of a verb (with the exception of irregular verbs) is formed adding "ed" at the end of the verb. For example: add-ed , drop-ed etc.

My doubt is about pronunciation,that is, how do I prounce the "ed" according to the last consonant of the verb?
Example: I prounce "addEd" (INCLUDING the capital letter) but I don't prounce the capital letter in "dropED" (like pronuncing: "drop",the PAUSE ,and then "d").
So I wonder,is there any rule?

Thank you in advance
Regards

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: What's the correct way to pronounce the "ed" at the end of the past simple of a v

Welcome to the forum,drageng. :hi:

Pronunciation:
The final –(e)d of this form is pronounced: /t/ after unvoiced consonants except /t/: /kɪkt, stɒpt, kɒft/(kicked, stopped, coughed)

/d/ after voiced consonants except /d/, vowels and diphthongs: /hʌgd, lɪvd, friːd, pleɪd/ (hugged, lived, freed, played)

/ɪd/ (or /əd/) after /t, d/: /wɒntɪd, wɒntǝd; niːdɪd, niːdǝd/ (wanted, needed)

etep

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Jamaica
Current Location
Germany
Re: What's the correct way to pronounce the "ed" at the end of the past simple of a v

Welcome to the forum,drageng. :hi:

Pronunciation:
The final –(e)d of this form is pronounced: /t/ after unvoiced consonants except /t/: /kɪkt, stɒpt, kɒft/(kicked, stopped, coughed)

/d/ after voiced consonants except /d/, vowels and diphthongs: /hʌgd, lɪvd, friːd, pleɪd/ (hugged, lived, freed, played)

/ɪd/ (or /əd/) after /t, d/: /wɒntɪd, wɒntǝd; niːdɪd, niːdǝd/ (wanted, needed)

This :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.