Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Mehrgan's Avatar
    Mehrgan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Why a dud cheque'?

    Hi there,
    Would you please tell me the reasons why a cheque is called 'dud'? (I need the natural language used in everyday English, please.) Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,891
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Why a dud cheque'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Hi there,
    Would you please tell me the reasons why a cheque is called 'dud'? (I need the natural language used in everyday English, please.) Thanks in advance.
    Do you know what a "dud" is?

    This is a BrE use. In AmE you have "bounced" checks.

  3. #3
    Mehrgan's Avatar
    Mehrgan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Why a dud cheque'?

    Thanks. It must be the same as 'bad', in a 'bad chque'. Is the reason for a dud cheque merely because one can't cover it? Or, perhaps there are other reasons involved, such as a bad signature, something wrong with the paper, or something?

  4. #4
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Why a dud cheque'?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Do you know what a "dud" is?

    This is a BrE use. In AmE you have "bounced" checks.
    Cheques bounce in BrE too.

  5. #5
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Why a dud cheque'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Thanks. It must be the same as 'bad', in a 'bad chque'. Is the reason for a dud cheque merely because one can't cover it? Or, perhaps there are other reasons involved, such as a bad signature, something wrong with the paper, or something?
    When we talk about dud cheques, we normally mean that there were insufficient funds in the account to pay. A dud is something, like a firework, bomb or bullet, that fails to work.

Similar Threads

  1. cheque for / of / $500 cheque
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Jul-2012, 15:46
  2. "crossed, bad, dud, bounced" for cheques?
    By Mehrgan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Feb-2011, 11:31
  3. cheque
    By seemsuday in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Jan-2007, 12:21
  4. cheque
    By mikephd in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Feb-2006, 19:16
  5. Making out a cheque
    By Hong Kong Chinese in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Mar-2004, 17:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk