Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Through this nursery rhyme, she is trying to explain there's some rhythm in English, but I can't understand if "little" and "blue" have any rhyme in common, also in "come" and "horn", "will" and "wake", etc as marked in the video. The pairs don't seem to have any syllable in common, so what are the pairs for?
2. In the video, she explains each line is one rhyme. Does "rhyme" mean a line or a syllable or pronunciation in common?

video : Lesson 3b - Rhythm through Rhymes - English Pronunciation - YouTube

Little
Boy Blue,
Come blow your horn,
The sheep's in the meadow,
The cow's in the corn;
But where is the boy
Who looks after the sheep?
He's under a haycock,
Fast asleep.
Will you wake him?
No, not I,
For if I do,
He's sure to cry

jorgebessa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
As far as I can see, the pairs are: horn / corn; sheep / asleep.
Not only for the sound of these words, but also for the position in the structure of the poem.

and
1. Through this nursery rhyme, she is trying to explain there's some rhythm in English, but I can't understand if "little" and "blue" have any rhyme in common, also in "come" and "horn", "will" and "wake", etc as marked in the video. The pairs don't seem to have any syllable in common, so what are the pairs for?
2. In the video, she explains each line is one rhyme. Does "rhyme" mean a line or a syllable or pronunciation in common?

video :

Little
Boy Blue,
Come blow your horn,
The cow's in the corn;
But where is the boy
He's under a haycock,
Fast asleep.
Will you wake him?
No, not I,
For if I do,
He's sure to cry

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

I'd look at it in four line sets. You'll then notice that the 2nd and 4th lines of each set rhyme, while the 1st and 3rd do not. This pattern repeats three times, giving the poem a distinct rhythm.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
You mean "come/horn" and "cow/corn" rhyme? What about in the next four line set? I find nothing...So I don't know what lesson she is trying to give.

Little
Boy Blue,
Come blow your horn,
The cow's in the corn;

But where is the boy
He's under a haycock,
Fast asleep.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You mean "come/horn" and "cow/corn" rhyme? What about in the next four line set? I find nothing...So I don't know what lesson she is trying to give.
Perhaps you had better check 'rhyme' in a dictionary before this thread goes any further. jorgebessa has already given a couple of example of rhymes in the text.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
She's talking about rhythm, not rhyme. Rhyme is at the end of a line, but she's looking at the rhythm and stress patterns. Horn and corn rhyme, but the words marked with dots are the stressed ones that give the rhythm to the piece. We call things like this nursery rhymes, so when she talks about the rhyme, she means the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.