Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everybody. :)

When dealing with my exercise, I encountered one question. :) May I ask you this now, please? :)

The scientific evidence does not enable us to say with certainty that mobile phones are categorically safe. On the other hand, current research has not yet ______ clear adverse effects associated with the prolonged use of mobile phones.

A. demonstrated
B. produced
C. proved
D. caused.

The key is A but could you tell me why not C, please? Please help me out. :) Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

VivienneM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Scotland
"Proved" is too strong in this case. I don't think research is meant to, or is able to prove something beyond a shadow of doubt. It is to test a hypothesis -- that mobile phones are harmful, or that they are safe. "Demonstrated" is the right word here. Another word might be "indicated".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't entirely agree with Vivienne; I think that research can prove hypotheses to be true. I would use 'demonstrated/indicated' in that sentence, but I don't reject 'proved'. I think it's a bad question.

Little Quack

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi :) Thank for your replies so much. :) But now I don't understand it much. :( Could you explain it to me clearer, please? :) Could you explain to me that why you would use 'demonstrated/ indicated' not 'proved', please? :) Well, this one is among the preparation questions for my college entrance exam. So I think it is quite tricky. :)

VivienneM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Scotland
The problem is, as 5jj has pointed out, that this is a bad question. Either "A" or "C" would be a possible, and correct, answer.

If I were reading an article about mobile phones on the front page of a tabloid newspaper, I would expect the sentence to read: "... current research has not yet demonstrated [or "indicated", or "shown"] clear adverse effects ...". I would assume it to be the sort of research that might be preliminary; not independent (i.e. funded by a mobile phone company); small-scale, and falling short of actual proof.

However, in different circumstances it would be "... current research has not yet proved clear adverse effects".

I think on balance, because the text that precedes the choice of answers indicates that this is a grey area, and not definite either way as things stand, it is safer to go with "demonstrated" rather than "proved".

Little Quack

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
^^. I got it now. Thank you so much. It is kind of you to help me out. :) Thank for all replies so much. :) Have a nice day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.