Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

The key to a test from my book gives the following answers:

It's my mum and dad's golden wedding anniversary next weekend. We've been arranging a surprise party for the last three months. We've booked a room...ordered a cake...received over 50 replies to our invitations. Mum and Dad suspect we've been planning something special, but they don't really know what. I know Mum has been thinking very carefully about their outfits. She's bought a new dress and ....

A couple of students have chosen 'have planned' and 'has thought". Although I'd go for the progressive, I don't think the present perfect is incorrect. Or is it?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

The key to a test from my book gives the following answers:

It's my mum and dad's golden wedding anniversary next weekend. We've been arranging a surprise party for the last three months. We've booked a room...ordered a cake...received over 50 replies to our invitations. Mum and Dad suspect we've been planning something special, but they don't really know what. I know Mum has been thinking very carefully about their outfits. She's bought a new dress and ....

A couple of students have chosen 'have planned' and 'has thought". Although I'd go for the progressive, I don't think the present perfect is incorrect. Or is it?

No, it's not incorrect.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Would you prefer one to the other, or does it depend on what you'd like to emphasize?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you want to emphasize the duration of the planning for the event and for the outfit, the progressive is a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.