• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hwaseong Fortress

1.I live in Suwon, where Hwaseong Fortress is and it's my hometown. I've been always wondering why it is called not "Hwaseong Castle", but "Hwaseong Fortress". Is it probably because it was built for protection not for normal purpose? What do you think is the difference between "fortress" and "castle"?
    2. Why doesn't "king" have any article like "a" or "the"? Is it just a customary usage?

gp36)Have you ever been to Hwaseong Fortress in Suwon? The fortress was built by King Jeongjo to honor his dead father, Crown Prince Jangheon(now called Sadoseja)....Years later,the prince's son, Jeongjo, became king....
    Last edited by keannu; 20-Nov-2012 at 05:42.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hwaseong Fortress

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    1.I live in Suwon, where Hwaseong Fortress is and it's my hometown. I've been always wondering why it is called not "Hwaseong Castle", but "Hwaseong Fortress". Is it probably it was built for protection not for normal purpose? What do you think is the difference between "fortress" and "castle"?
    Very few places in the English-speaking world are called 'Name Fortress'. Older strongly-fortified buildings constructed by royalty or nobles are usually called 'Name Castle'; more recently-built army establishments are often called 'Fort Name'. The English translations of the names of castles, palaces, stately homes, forts, fortresses, etc in other countries may be an attempt to give the closest translation of the original name.
    Why doesn't "king" have any article like "a" or "the"? Is it just a customary usage?gp36)Have you ever been to Hwaseong Fortress in Suwon? The fortress was built by King Jeongjo to honor his dead father, Crown Prince Jangheon(now called Sadoseja)....Years later,the prince's son, Jeongjo, became king....
    Royal, military and some official titles and ranks are not preceded by an article when they are used as a name: President Obama, General Patton, Prince Charles, Chancellor Kohl.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Castle makes more sense to me than fortress- I searched and the pictures look like a castle to me. In Japan, I saw the word castle being used for places like Nijo.

keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for your endeavor to make a cyber visit to my hometown. Yes! It's much more like a castle than a fortress.

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like