Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

truth
   [trooth] Show IPA
noun, plural truths  [troothz, trooths]

When such symbols (th) written in italics, does that mean that they are optional as a result
truths /troothz/ is rhyme with bruise/bruːz/? In other words, th in truths /troothz/will be omitted in spoken English as we see in this word, clothes /klo z/.

Thank you,

Last edited:

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They are not optional; the "th" must be pronounced in "truths". The "th" must also be pronounced in "clothes"; otherwise it will sound like "close"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Truths' can be pronounced either /tru:θs/ or /tru:ðs/. I imagine the italicised 'th' in the dictionary the link leads us to represents /ð/.

I do not agree with Grumpy about 'clothes'. The 'th' is often not pronounced in informal speech. Although the Cambridge EPD does not give the /kləʊz/ pronunciation, the LPD lists it before /kləʊðz/.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bah, Humbug! That could cause terrible confusion at home in Scotland. If I didn't pronounce the "th" in "truths", everyone would think I was talking about "trews", which are [as any fule kno] traditional tartan trousers.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Bah, Humbug! That could cause terrible confusion at home in Scotland. If I didn't pronounce the "th" in "truths", everyone would think I was talking about "trews", which are [as any fule kno] traditional tartan trousers.
OK, McMolesworth, but what I actually said was that the 'th' in 'truths' could be pronounced /θ/ or /ð/. I did not say it was not pronounced at all. I did suggest that it was not always pronounced in 'clothes'.

Lang may yer lum leak, or whatever it does up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.