Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    english_learn is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default What is the grammar rule for this sentence

    Please look at the sentences below:


    Food manufacturers are using a loophole in trademark law to dupe consumers into thinking products high in fat or sugar are healthy, a study has found



    My understanding on this after TO "ing" format should not be used. In the above sentence "into thinking " is wrong I guess. It should be into think? Am i right?

    if I am wrong tell me the grammar rule?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    philo2009 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,507
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is the grammar rule for this sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by english_learn View Post
    Please look at the sentences below:


    Food manufacturers are using a loophole in trademark law to dupe consumers into thinking products high in fat or sugar are healthy, a study has found



    My understanding on this after TO "ing" format should not be used. In the above sentence "into thinking " is wrong I guess. It should be into think? Am i right?

    if I am wrong tell me the grammar rule?
    Thanks
    No, it is quite correct as written. 'Into' is a preposition, and therefore requires here a gerund as object.

  3. #3
    english_learn is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Sri Lanka
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is the grammar rule for this sentence

    Thanks, but not clear. can u explain bit further with examples?

  4. #4
    philo2009 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,507
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is the grammar rule for this sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by english_learn View Post
    Thanks, but not clear. can u explain bit further with examples?
    When you wish to collocate a preposition with a verbal form, the gerund form (in -ing) is normally required.

    Other examples include

    I am in favour OF going there in person.
    To you object TO my seeing her?
    Our object consists IN getting as many new customers as possible.

  5. #5
    gr3tdicipl3's Avatar
    gr3tdicipl3 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is the grammar rule for this sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by philo2009 View Post
    When you wish to collocate a preposition with a verbal form, the gerund form (in -ing) is normally required.

    Other examples include

    I am in favour OF going there in person.
    To you object TO my seeing her?
    Our object consists IN getting as many new customers as possible.
    quick question if I may: looking back to the first post question, is it possible to replace the word "thinking" gerund into a normal verb? I'm sure "think" would be wrong, but maybe another word that i can't think of? thanks

  6. #6
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is the grammar rule for this sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by gr3tdicipl3 View Post
    quick question if I may: looking back to the first post question, is it possible to replace the word "thinking" gerund into a normal verb?
    The gerund is the normal verb-form here. No other form is possible.

  7. #7
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is the grammar rule for this sentence

    You could change the verb into something like believing/feeling, but it would still be a gerund.

Similar Threads

  1. Verb grammar rule
    By english_learn in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-May-2011, 13:12
  2. [General] validity of a grammar rule
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2009, 21:29
  3. Grammar Rule
    By CarlosPerez in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Jan-2008, 13:14
  4. obscure grammar rule?
    By nico in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Sep-2007, 16:46
  5. Grammar rule.
    By Giau Vuong in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Nov-2005, 05:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •