Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I have a translation subject, and i have to present about idiom..
how we can translate English idiom into Bahasa Indonesia? or maybe you can tell me just the technique of translating English Idiom...
thank you...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :)

Translating idioms and proverbs is not easy. Usually, they only really mean what they mean in their original language. If you translate them literally into another language, they frequently lose meaning. It's possible that there is an idiom in another language which means exactly the same thing but says it using different words, but you would have to already know both idioms.

We have an idiom here "The early bird catches the worm". If you translate that into your own language, does it mean anything other than the absolutely literal meaning?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You have to make the meaning clear in your language, rather than worrying about the original words.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And avoid knee-jerk 'idiom-for-idiom' translations; for example dicho y hecho can often mean 'no sooner said than done' - but that doesn't mean that 'no sooner said than done' is always the best translation; it can mean, for example, 'just say the word and I'll make sure it happens'. (The translation of Vorbryddelsen III - sub-titled Danish thriller, currently on BBC4 TV) is very annoying; failed searches always 'come up empty', when the failing seeker would more probably say 'We drew a blank' or plain 'We didn't find anything'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.