[Grammar] Present participles involve gerunds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
We have learned that the form of base ing can be used for present participles and gerunds but according to some definitions, base ing itself is called present participles and then we should change a lot of things here.
Do you agree that a gerund is a part of present participles and they function as an adjective and a noun (gerund), etc?

In grammar, the present participle of a verb is the form which ends in `-ing'. Present participles are used to form continuous tenses, as in `She was wearing a neat blue suit'. They are often nouns, as in `I hate cooking' and`Cooking can be fun'. Many of them can be used like an adjective in front of a noun, as in`their smiling faces'.
- Collins-

C.f present participle - Wiktionary

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Do you agree that a gerund is a part of present participles and they function as an adjective and a noun (gerund), etc?
No.

-ing forms can function as nouns and as adjectives. When functioning as nouns, they are generally known as gerunds; when functioning as adjectives they are generally known as (present) participles.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Gerund : a noun in the form of the present participle of a verb (that is, ending in -ing) for example travelling in the sentence I preferred travelling alone.
- Oxford -

It is so hard for me to come to an conclusion. Please give me your wisdom about this issue.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is so hard for me to come to an conclusion. Please give me your wisdom about this issue.
What conclusion is it hard for you to come to?

Gerunds have the same form as the present participle.
In all regular verbs, and some irregular verbs, the second (past tense) form has the same form as the third (past participle) form.

Because A looks like B, we don't have to conclude that A is B.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I am sorry about posting this question up here and there if it bothers you but I would like to hear from more native English speakers. So I do not have to take the definitions seriously or how can I take "in the form of the present participle of a verb"? Thank you so much.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I am sorry about posting this question up here and there if it bothers you but I would like to hear from more native English speakers. So I do not have to take the definitions seriously or how can I take "in the form of the present participle of a verb"? Thank you so much.
I have nothing to add to 5jj's description, but you might like to look at these two links.
Definition of gerund
Definition of gerund

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
how can I take "in the form of the present participle of a verb"?
Gerunds end in -ing. Present participles end in -ing. Gerunds and present participles have the same form/construction/appearance/etc.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you and then can we say that there are other thoughts about this issue as well?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Until you see it used, you don't know what it is.

Opened
May
Fishing

Is the first the form in the simple past or the form used for the perfect (i.e., the second or third part of the verb)?
Is the second a girl's name or a modal?
Is the third a gerund or the present participle?

They can all be either one, until they are used. Then you know. The present participle looks like a gerund. That doesn't mean it's the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.