Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I thougt "tires" and "wheels" are the same, but it seems "tires" are mounted on "wheels", which are just a frame for "tires". What do you think?

mo39)...On a personal level, I suppose he’s right. You shouldn’t stew all day long if a clerk is rude to
you. However, if it’s your store and that clerk is being rude to one of your customers, it is a very big deal. In business,you’ve got to sweat the small stuff. When you go to a tire store, you expect the tires to be mounted on your wheels and balanced properly. What you don’t expect are the little things. And what you remember is not how well the tires were balanced but whether the clerk was kind or rude to you.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thougt "tires" and "wheels" are the same, but it seems "tires" are mounted on "wheels", which are just a frame for "tires". What do you think?

mo39)...On a personal level, I suppose he’s right. You shouldn’t stew all day long if a clerk is rude to
you. However, if it’s your store and that clerk is being rude to one of your customers, it is a very big deal. In business,you’ve got to sweat the small stuff. When you go to a tire store, you expect the tires to be mounted on your wheels and balanced properly. What you don’t expect are the little things. And what you remember is not how well the tires were balanced but whether the clerk was kind or rude to you.
Insofar as automobiles are concerned, tires are mounted on wheels. Generally, the two terms are fairly interchageable. I can, for example, ask you what size of wheels your car has and be referring to the tires, not the metal wheels.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you buy a tyre (note BrE spelling) you will only get the rubber part which fits onto the wheel.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are many carts and wagons that have wheels but not tires.
If you have a bike, you inflate your tire, not your wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.