Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
" And any Toshiba exec who saw it would know that this particular frame should have been trash-caned before it ever left the factory."

Would it be standard English to use the verb "to trash-can"?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
" And any Toshiba exec who saw it would know that this particular frame should have been trash-caned before it ever left the factory."

Although I've not heard "trash-canned" (note the spelling) used this way, "canned" is a common informal term meaning dismissed or rejected.
"The project was so badly funded that it was canned by the committee at a very early stage".
Possibly because the frame is a physical object, "trash-canned" felt more descriptive, but the double "n" is necessary.

not a teacher

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In BrE, we can also use binned.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Although I've not heard "trash-canned" (note the spelling) used this way, "canned" is a common informal term meaning dismissed or rejected.
"The project was so badly funded that it was canned by the committee at a very early stage".
Possibly because the frame is a physical object, "trash-canned" felt more descriptive, but the double "n" is necessary.

not a teacher
I hear "trash-canned" in the US. The emphasis is not so much on "canned" as it is on "trash". One throws things of no value into the trash. The "can" here is the container which holds trash. Material objects, as well as ideas, can be "trash-canned".

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Could a person be trash-canned ? Suppose somebody's been working for a company for a while but the board suddenly decides to downzise personnel.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Could a person be trash-canned ? Suppose somebody's been working for a company for a while but the board suddenly decides to downzise personnel.
Aaaarrrrgghhhh!

Sorry about that. I feel better now,

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I can't speak for AmE, but people can be binned (sacked) in BrE.

Status
Not open for further replies.