Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"Catch a break" is defined as "A moment of luck in difficult times" such as the following."A caught a break when the police officer decided not to write me a ticket", but the translation goes "take a break(rest)",so doesn't it have any chance to be interpreted as such(the latter)?

rp114)People accustomed to success tend to ask themselves the right kinds of questions to get a solution to a problem...For example, if we ask such questions as "Why haven't I gotten that promotion yet?" or "How come I never catch a break in life?", then we are only asking why things are the way the are....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Catch a break" is defined as "A moment of luck in difficult times" such as the following."A caught a break when the police officer decided not to write me a ticket", but the translation goes "take a break(rest)",so doesn't it have any chance to be interpreted as such(the latter)?

rp114)People accustomed to success tend to ask themselves the right kinds of questions to get a solution to a problem...For example, if we ask such questions as "Why haven't I gotten that promotion yet?" or "How come I never catch a break in life?", then we are only asking why things are the way the are....

The translation is wrong. It is nothing to do with taking a rest. "To catch a break" means to be lucky in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.