Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can I say "being seen of your hand" to mean "your hand being seen"? If not so, is there any other preposition I can throw in there to make it work that way? Thank you very much!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can I say "being seen of your hand" to mean "your hand being seen"? If not so, is there any other preposition I can throw in there to make it work that way? Thank you very much!

Can you form a whole sentence with "your hand being seen" because I don't know what the original phrase means so it's hard to know how you could rephrase it.

Punchinello

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
For example, the rule says you can't do it with your hand being seen?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it to do with playing poker? Or a magic trick?

The context would help but my initial reaction is that it should say something like "The rule says you can't do it with your hand on view/on show".

Punchinello

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I came up with the example sentense myself. I guess it could be poker or a magic trick.
I'm having some trouble visiting this site. It takes an unbearably long time for any page to load so sorry for the delay of my reply. Anyways, thank you for your help. There is no way i can come up with an acceptable expression like “being seen of your hand” with maybe another preposition?

Moksha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I came up with the example sentense myself. I guess it could be poker or a magic trick.
I'm having some trouble visiting this site. It takes an unbearably long time for any page to load so sorry for the delay of my reply. Anyways, thank you for your help. There is no way i can come up with an acceptable expression like “being seen of your hand” with maybe another preposition?
I'm not sure if this helps but you could use in. As in 'being seen in your hand'. Again it depends on context.
OR more in line with your sentence. 'You must perform the trick without the contents of your hand being seen'.
Does that help?

(I'm not a teacher)

Punchinello

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you but what if I want to emphasize more the hand itself rather than the contents of it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You must perform the trick without your hand being seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.