Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In addition, I suggested adding more articles about English culture to the textbooks.That way, it will surely broaden our horizons as well as fuel our interest in learning this amazing language.

Is "fuel" used correctly or naturally in that sentence?

Thanks for your help!

Jason

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, it's fine.

Rover

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
Apart from an infinitive, you can also use FUELLING.

Longman Guide to English Usage says when the verb before AS WELL AS is an infinitive, the verb immediately after AS WELL AS can be an infinitive or in the -ing form.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
it will surely broaden our horizons as well as fuel our interest in learning this amazing language.

Apart from an infinitive, you can also use FUELLING.

Longman Guide to English Usage says when the verb before AS WELL AS is an infinitive, the verb immediately after AS WELL AS can be an infinitive or in the -ing form.

Not in this sentence. There is no infinitive.

It will broaden. It will fuel. It will broaden as well as fuel.

You must keep the two parts parallel.

It is the path to broadening our horizons as well as fuelting our interesting. -- This would work.

(Note that fueling has only one L.)

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
it will surely broaden our horizons as well as fuel our interest in learning this amazing language.

Not in this sentence. There is no infinitive.

It will broaden. It will fuel. It will broaden as well as fuel.

You must keep the two parts parallel.

It is the path to broadening our horizons as well as fuelting our interesting. -- This would work.

(Note that fueling has only one L.)

Interesting. Thank you very much for your reply. But my opionion is different.

In The Cassell Guide to Common Errors in English, Mr Harry Blamiers says that the two verbs in such a sentence must be parallel, but this can only be regarded as his biased opinion; further, AS WELL AS can function as a preposition in this case, so it is absolutely correct to use the -ing form. Another thing you have mentioned is NO INFINITIVE, but an infinitive can be a bare infinitive or a to-infinitive. In the OALD 8th, SHE CAN SWIM is an example of the bare infinitive; that is to say, even when the auxiliary verb is WILL, it is still an infinitive.

Another important thing to mention is you tell me to 'note that fueling has only one L'; thank you very much for your reminder. But before your reminding anyone, I advise you to read the OALD first:

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/fuel_2

I hope that no one will say the OALD is wrong in recording the -ing form of FUEL in British English.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm more than happy to admit I'm wrong, and if the British spelling of fuelling had two L's, I accept that.

But if you think "it will surely broaden our horizons as well as fuelling our interest in learning this amazing language." is okay, then I have nothing further to share with you.

Whether you intended to sound pompous or condescending or not, you certainly did. So good luck with your future learning. It will be without any additional contributions from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.