Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
1- Is transmit synonymous with launch & send off? If so, are these collocations correct? to transmit a shuttle/missile
to send off or to send a shuttle

2- which one is a synonym for "the important part"?
a. staple b. elements
when we say "she talked about the elements of geography" does the elements mean the important part? If so, are both a & b synonyms for "the important part"?

3- Is astronaut synonymous with spacewalker? what's the difference between these two? Moreover, is the following sentence correct?
The astronauts took five spacewalks to fix the optics of the space telescope. I think spacewalks should be changed into spacewalkers? am I correct?

4- Is await synonymous with anticipate, look forward to, and see before?

Thanks a lot in advance

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
re: transmit vs. launch & send off

It is better to ask each question is a separate thread. I will address the first question. "transmit" can mean to send, but is usually used for information - "He transmitted an urgent message", "I can transmit this letter for you". One would not usually use "transmit" to mean the launching of a missile.

zohreh250250

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
synonym

1- Is transmit synonymous with launch & send off? If so, are these collocations correct? to transmit a shuttle/missile
to send off or to send a shuttle

2- which one is a synonym for "the important part"?
a. staple b. elements
when we say "she talked about the elements of geography" does the elements mean the important part? If so, are both a & b synonyms for "the important part"?

3- Is astronaut synonymous with spacewalker?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

1. No. You transmit messages. You launch missles.
2. Neither
3. No

zohreh250250

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

It is better to ask each question is a separate thread. I will address the first question. "transmit" can mean to send, but is usually used for information - "He transmitted an urgent message", "I can transmit this letter for you". One would not usually use "transmit" to mean the launching of a missile.

thanks, but as u said "One would not usually use "transmit" to mean the launching of a missile". It means that one can also use transmit a shuttle but it may not happen usually. for exAMPLE: often I play football on fridays. often does not happen at the beggining of a sentence usually. am I right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I would say more than we usually don't use "transmit" for a rocket. I cannot think of an instance where "transmitting" a shuttle/rocket/spacecraft would be correct or natural.

zohreh250250

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
collocations

are these collocations correct?

transmit a shuttle/rocket/spacecraft

zohreh250250

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hi, I have not got a good answer for my question yet. I'd be thankful of those teachers who make this question clear for me:

One would not usually use "transmit" to mean the launching of a missile. It means that one can also use transmit a shuttle but it may not happen usually. for example in the following sentence: "often I play football on fridays". often does not happen at the beggining of a sentence usually. But it is also correct to bring usually at the beggining of a sentence. am I right?
therefore, send off and transmit can be used instead of launch. yes or no?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We do not use 'transmit' when we mean 'launch'.
It is possible to use 'send off', though that has a wider meaning than 'launch'.

The simplest thing, if you want to talk about the launching of a rocket, is to use the word 'launch'.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You seem determined to use "transmit" -- so determined that you posted the question at least four times. I have merged all your threads together.

I will add my voice to the four native speakers who have already told you this - do not use "transmit" with a rocket.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I will add my voice to the four native speakers who have already told you this - do not use "transmit" with a rocket.
So you think we cannot transmit a rocket? Is that what you are trying to say?

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.