[General] Which accent do you think is clearer and more comprehensible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

etep

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Jamaica
Current Location
Germany
Hey guys, I'm going to read a small paragraph in 3 different accents: the first with an American one and the second with a British one, and the 3rd in my own accent.

I'm interested in your opinions because people often tell me that I have a mixed accent (as it's somewhat a mix between an American and a British accent.) So at times it feels weird to have to deal with such comments. I have lived in a lot of places throughout my life (Jamaica, US, UK, and Australia), so perhaps my accent is a reflection of this.

Here is the paragraph:
A theory is built upon one or more hypotheses, and upon evidence. The word "built" is essential, for a theory contains reasoning and logical connections based on the hypotheses and evidence. Thus we have Newton's theory of gravity and the motion of planets, Einstein's theory of relativity, the germ theory of disease, the cell theory of organisms, plate tectonics, the valence theory of chemical compounds, and theories of evolution in biology, geology, and astronomy. These theories are self-consistent and consistent with one another.

Construction of good theories is a major goal of science.

Here's the direct link: Chirbit - accents - etep - share audio easily
I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wow. Aside from "organisms" and "astronomy" I would not have known you were not American. That sounded fine to me. I'll leave it to others to judge the British version.

Is English your native language, and your pronunciation has simply migrated, or is this a second language for you?

etep

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Jamaica
Current Location
Germany
Wow. Aside from "organisms" and "astronomy" I would not have known you were not American. That sounded fine to me. I'll leave it to others to judge the British version.

Is English your native language, and your pronunciation has simply migrated, or is this a second language for you?

Thank you :) I grew up speaking broken English (Patois - Jamaican English) and German, so I guess I had to learn how to speak English in its standard form.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As a British English speaker, my opinion is that it sounds as if it were recorded by a North American native speaker (with the exception of the incorrect stress on "organism" and the slightly strange sounding "astronomy").

Status
Not open for further replies.