• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It is a forced option

1. What does this "such that" mean? I don't get it.
    2. What does this "It is a forced option" mean? Does "it" mean "not choosing" or "hesitating to choose"? I don't get what "forced" means here.

34)An option is forced if not choosing to decide is somehow equivalent in its consequences to choosing not to decide. I recently debated buying a particular car that had just arrived at a local dealership. I looked at it for two days and test-drove it twice. I really liked it. It was an extraordinary deal because of some rare circumstances. But, as much as I liked it, and as perfect a deal as it seemed, I couldn’t manage to form the positive belief that I should go buy it. The situation was such that this was equivalent to deciding not to buy it, as my hesitation allowed another interested party to snatch it away while I pondered the possibilities. If you are presented with a good job offer and given 48 hours to respond, then not choosing is equivalent in its consequences to a negative choice. It is a forced option.
    Last edited by keannu; 30-Nov-2012 at 04:50.

Gillnetter is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: It is a forced option

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    2. What does this "It is a forced option" mean? Does "it" mean "not choosing" or "hesitating to choose"? I don't get what "forced" means here.

34)An option is forced if not choosing to decide is somehow equivalent in its consequences to choosing not to decide. I recently debated buying a particular car that had just arrived at a local dealership. I looked at it for two days and test-drove it twice. I really liked it. It was an extraordinary deal because of some rare circumstances. But, as much as I liked it, and as perfect a deal as it seemed, I couldn’t manage to form the positive belief that I should go buy it. The situation was such that this was equivalent to, (something is missing here) as my hesitation allowed another interested party to snatch it away while I pondered the possibilities. If you are presented with a good job offer and given 48 hours to respond, then not choosing is equivalent in its consequences to a negative choice. It is a forced option.
    This is straying from a discussion on language and moving into philosophical concerns. This is a natural occurrence when one seriously studies a language. Language is how we perceive and understand the world. If you don't make a decision, the end result is that your not deciding is the same as deciding not to do something.

keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, so I filled out the missing part. I understand your conclusion same as that of this paraghraph. But still I can't get what "such that" and "forced option" mean respectively.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post

34)An option is forced if not choosing to decide is somehow equivalent in its consequences to choosing not to decide. I recently debated buying a particular car that had just arrived at a local dealership. I looked at it for two days and test-drove it twice. I really liked it. It was an extraordinary deal because of some rare circumstances. But, as much as I liked it, and as perfect a deal as it seemed, I couldn’t manage to form the positive belief that I should go buy it. The situation was such that this was equivalent to deciding not to buy it, as my hesitation allowed another interested party to snatch it away while I pondered the possibilities. If you are presented with a good job offer and given 48 hours to respond, then not choosing is equivalent in its consequences to a negative choice. It is a forced option.
    Let's take out the part that is bothering you -

The situation was equivalent to deciding not to buy it, as my hesitation allowed another interested party to snatch it away while I pondered the possibilities.

So..."such that" is really not needed in this sentence. "such that" describes the situation as being equivalent to deciding not to buy it. Using these words is a stylistic choice, or word inflation, depending on who is doing the editing.

An option is a choice. The writer is saying that there really is no choice - you are being forced to accept or not to accept. If you decide to not decide, you are, in reality, making a choice. Given this, the concept of an option is put aside since you cannot decide to not accept - your not accepting leads to the opposite of your accepting.

SoothingDave is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot of words to say what the rock band Rush put as "when you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    That's a lot of words to say what the rock band Rush put as "when you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
    What! This job doesn't pay by the word?