Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. What does this "such that" mean? I don't get it.
2. What does this "It is a forced option" mean? Does "it" mean "not choosing" or "hesitating to choose"? I don't get what "forced" means here.

34)An option is forced if not choosing to decide is somehow equivalent in its consequences to choosing not to decide. I recently debated buying a particular car that had just arrived at a local dealership. I looked at it for two days and test-drove it twice. I really liked it. It was an extraordinary deal because of some rare circumstances. But, as much as I liked it, and as perfect a deal as it seemed, I couldn’t manage to form the positive belief that I should go buy it. The situation was such that this was equivalent to deciding not to buy it, as my hesitation allowed another interested party to snatch it away while I pondered the possibilities. If you are presented with a good job offer and given 48 hours to respond, then not choosing is equivalent in its consequences to a negative choice. It is a forced option.

Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
2. What does this "It is a forced option" mean? Does "it" mean "not choosing" or "hesitating to choose"? I don't get what "forced" means here.

34)An option is forced if not choosing to decide is somehow equivalent in its consequences to choosing not to decide. I recently debated buying a particular car that had just arrived at a local dealership. I looked at it for two days and test-drove it twice. I really liked it. It was an extraordinary deal because of some rare circumstances. But, as much as I liked it, and as perfect a deal as it seemed, I couldn’t manage to form the positive belief that I should go buy it. The situation was such that this was equivalent to, (something is missing here) as my hesitation allowed another interested party to snatch it away while I pondered the possibilities. If you are presented with a good job offer and given 48 hours to respond, then not choosing is equivalent in its consequences to a negative choice. It is a forced option.
This is straying from a discussion on language and moving into philosophical concerns. This is a natural occurrence when one seriously studies a language. Language is how we perceive and understand the world. If you don't make a decision, the end result is that your not deciding is the same as deciding not to do something.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm sorry, so I filled out the missing part. I understand your conclusion same as that of this paraghraph. But still I can't get what "such that" and "forced option" mean respectively.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

34)An option is forced if not choosing to decide is somehow equivalent in its consequences to choosing not to decide. I recently debated buying a particular car that had just arrived at a local dealership. I looked at it for two days and test-drove it twice. I really liked it. It was an extraordinary deal because of some rare circumstances. But, as much as I liked it, and as perfect a deal as it seemed, I couldn’t manage to form the positive belief that I should go buy it. The situation was such that this was equivalent to deciding not to buy it, as my hesitation allowed another interested party to snatch it away while I pondered the possibilities. If you are presented with a good job offer and given 48 hours to respond, then not choosing is equivalent in its consequences to a negative choice. It is a forced option.
Let's take out the part that is bothering you -

The situation was equivalent to deciding not to buy it, as my hesitation allowed another interested party to snatch it away while I pondered the possibilities.

So..."such that" is really not needed in this sentence. "such that" describes the situation as being equivalent to deciding not to buy it. Using these words is a stylistic choice, or word inflation, depending on who is doing the editing.

An option is a choice. The writer is saying that there really is no choice - you are being forced to accept or not to accept. If you decide to not decide, you are, in reality, making a choice. Given this, the concept of an option is put aside since you cannot decide to not accept - your not accepting leads to the opposite of your accepting.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's a lot of words to say what the rock band Rush put as "when you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's a lot of words to say what the rock band Rush put as "when you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

What! This job doesn't pay by the word?

Status
Not open for further replies.