• Swahili
      • Home Country:
      • Kenya
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default need help

Hi,Guys
    I,m new here and i think this is a great place for teachers.I've been a teacher in china for just 6 months and so far its great.Recently i posted my Resume in some teachers job board and today received 4 emails.so i really need you help:how do you identify if a job is a scam?????I have been scammed before so don't want to be a victim agaim..your help will be highly appreciated

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: need help

Here are some ideas to start with:

If the school offering a job has no website, forget it.

If it has a website, try to judge from the site whether the school appears to be genuine. Are any suspicious claims made? Is there an opportunity to contact present/past teachers?

Make sure that they offer you a contract before you think of joining them. Read the contract carefully. If there is anything you are unclear about, write and ask for clarification. How quickly/helpfully do they respond to your questions?

Under no circumstances part with any money for a 'job-finder's fee'.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: need help

Quote Originally Posted by kapitan View Post
    Hi, guys
    I'm new here and I think this is a great place for teachers. I've been a teacher in China for just 6 months and so far it's great. Recently I posted my resume in some teachers' job boards and today I received 4 emails. So I really need your help. How do you identify if a job is a scam? I have been scammed before so don't want to be a victim again. Your help will be highly appreciated.
    Have you been applying in English? No offence intended but if you are applying for a job as an English teacher, you should make sure that your application uses correct written English. You will see above that I have made corrections to your post in red.

Most importantly, remember:

- Start every new sentence with a capital letter.
    - End every sentence with the relevant single punctuation mark.
    - Always capitalise the word "I".
    - Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark, exclamation mark.
    - Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark, exclamation mark.
    - It may be your keyboard, but check the difference between a comma and an apostrophe.

Admittedly, that doesn't help you decide if a job is a scam but it certainly might help you to get more professional offers from high quality schools.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.