English Teacher
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
China
Hi,Guys
I,m new here and i think this is a great place for teachers.I've been a teacher in china for just 6 months and so far its great.Recently i posted my Resume in some teachers job board and today received 4 emails.so i really need you help:how do you identify if a job is a scam?????I have been scammed before so don't want to be a victim agaim..your help will be highly appreciated

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Here are some ideas to start with:

If the school offering a job has no website, forget it.

If it has a website, try to judge from the site whether the school appears to be genuine. Are any suspicious claims made? Is there an opportunity to contact present/past teachers?

Make sure that they offer you a contract before you think of joining them. Read the contract carefully. If there is anything you are unclear about, write and ask for clarification. How quickly/helpfully do they respond to your questions?

Under no circumstances part with any money for a 'job-finder's fee'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, guys
I'm new here and I think this is a great place for teachers. I've been a teacher in China for just 6 months and so far it's great. Recently I posted my resume in some teachers' job boards and today I received 4 emails. So I really need your help. How do you identify if a job is a scam? I have been scammed before so don't want to be a victim again. Your help will be highly appreciated.

Have you been applying in English? No offence intended but if you are applying for a job as an English teacher, you should make sure that your application uses correct written English. You will see above that I have made corrections to your post in red.

Most importantly, remember:

- Start every new sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with the relevant single punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark, exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark, exclamation mark.
- It may be your keyboard, but check the difference between a comma and an apostrophe.

Admittedly, that doesn't help you decide if a job is a scam but it certainly might help you to get more professional offers from high quality schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.