Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
(source: Iceberg Slim: Pimp, The story of my life)

Please help me to understand what does ’a bundle in the damer’ exactly mean here:

The section that contains the expression:
”I thought: This beautiful white bitch has class. She sounds like an egghead. With wheels like that she's probably got a bundle in the darner! Maybe she's got some rich sucker in her web.”

Background:
Slim accidentally meets a beautiful girl and starts considering to get to know her and even making her his wh*re because the nice car and the attractive appearence of the girl draw his attention.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
(source: Iceberg Slim: Pimp, The story of my life)

Please help me to understand what does ’a bundle in the damer’ exactly mean here:

The section that contains the expression:
”I thought: This beautiful white bitch has class. She sounds like an egghead. With wheels like that she's probably got a bundle in the darner! Maybe she's got some rich sucker in her web.”

Background:
Slim accidentally meets a beautiful girl and starts considering to get to know her and even making her his wh*re because the nice car and the attractive appearence of the girl draw his attention.

I will guess that a "bundle" refers to a lot of money, given that the speaker bases that statement on the fact that the woman has "class" and comments on her "wheels" (her car).

The piece says "DARNER" but your question says "DAMER". I assume you just misread the original and though that "rn" was a single "m". I can't help you with a definition for that. I couldn't find anything useful online either.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree with emsr2d2's interpretation of bundle. One still hears that usage today.

When I was very young my mother used to darn the family's clothes. She kept needles, yarn, a darning egg and items waiting to be repaired in her darning bag.

So I am guessing Slim is being ironic in calling this rich lady's purse or handbag her darner.

Last edited:

mrghd

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Yes, it is daRNer! Thanks

Status