Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Hi,

My Mum is moving to China in the next few days & is stuck on a paragraph she needs translating for a course she is doing. She's has been stuck on it for months, but has only recently asked me.

If someone could please help; as this will help her out alot in China in getting a job.

-----
ə ˈmærɪd mæn wəz ˈhævɪŋ ən əˈfeə wɪð ɪz ˈsekrətəri | wʌn deɪ | ðeə ˈpæʃn̩z ˌəʊvəˈkeɪm ðəm ənd ˈðeɪ tʊk ɒf fə hə ˈhaʊs | weə ˈðeɪ meɪd ˈpæʃənət lʌv ɔːl ˌɑːftəˈnuːn | ɪɡˈzɔːstɪd frəm ði ˌæftərˈnuːnz ɪɡˈzɜːʃn̩z | ˈðeɪ fel əˈsliːp | əˈweɪkənɪŋ əˈraʊnd eɪt | ˌpiːˈem | əz ðə mæn θruː ɒn ɪz kləʊðz | hi təʊld ðə ˈwʊmən tə teɪk ɪz ʃuːz ˌaʊtˈsaɪd ənd rʌb ðəm θruː ðə ɡrɑːs ənd ɔlˈðoʊ| ˈmɪstɪfaɪd | ʃi ˌnʌnðəˈ...les kəmˈplaɪd | hi slɪpt ˈɪntə ɪz ʃuːz ənd drəʊv həʊm | weə həv ju biːn | dɪˈmɑːndɪd ɪz waɪf wen hi ˈentəd ðə ˈhaʊs |ˈdɑːlɪŋ | ˈaɪ kɑːnt laɪ tə ju | aɪv biːn ˈhævɪŋ ən əˈfeə wɪð maɪ ˈsekrətəri ənd wiv biːn ˈhævɪŋ seks ɔːl ˌɑːftəˈnuːn | ˈaɪ fel əˈsliːp ənd ˈdɪdnt weɪk ʌp ʌnˈtɪl eɪt əˈklɒk | ðə waɪf ɡlɑːnst daʊn ət ɪz ʃuːz ənd ˈsed | ju məst θɪŋk ˈaɪ əm ˈstjuːpɪd | juv biːn ˈpleɪɪŋ ɡɒlf
-------

(sorry if this has been posted in the wrong section)

Many Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, jroper. :hi:

We like to help when we can, but if this is part of an assigment then we cannot help. The teachers/tutors want to know what your mother can do, not what we can do.

It would be dishonest for your mother to get a job as a result of our work.

jroper321

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Welcome to the forum, jroper. :hi:

We like to help when we can, but if this is part of an assigment then we cannot help. The teachers/tutors want to know what your mother can do, not what we can do.

It would be dishonest for your mother to get a job as a result of our work.

I genuinely appreciate what you're saying, but she wouldn't be using this sort of English to teach. It's part of an online course she's doing, she just needs this to obtain a certificate.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Words (very nearly) fail me. How can she have been 'stuck on it for months', when an hour or two's application is all that is needed? Why is asking us to dupe a certificating body any better than asking us to dupe an examiner? Have her try, and we'll comment on her attempt. ;-)

To get her started, she might like to know that many speakers would not reduce /hɜ:/ to /hǝ/, and that /nʌnðǝ'les/ is one word - I don't imagine the "..." were intentional.. The rest is readily decipherable with the British Council's interactive chart - which has been linked to in several related threads.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.