English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear native speakers,

Why has "worried" been used in the following sentence and not "worry"?

"The explosion around the world in mobile phone use has some health professionals worried."

Thanks.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Because it's an adjective form, not a verb. I am worried. He is worried. They are worried.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Teacher Haseli:

May I add a few comments to SoothingDave's excellent answer?

I believe (repeat: believe) that:

1. "Worried" in that sentence is the past participle of the verb "to worry."

2. It is being used as an adjective to describe the object "health professionals."

3. Grammar books say that "worried" in your sentence is a so-called objective complement.

a. One of my favorite books * says this:

"The objective complement is so called because it is added to the direct object to complete the meaning expressed

by the verb ("complement" means something that completes)."

4. Thus, I believe, if your sentence simply said, "The situation has health professionals," the sentence would obviously

need completing. That is, the situation has health professionals what? Answer: worried.

James

* Walter Kay Smart, English Review Grammar (1940; copyright renewed in 1953), page 14.

haseli22

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear ThePareser,
Thanks for your kind reply. I do not have the book that you mentioned. Is it possible for you to send it to me via email, if you have a pdf format of it?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks for your kind reply. I do not have the book that you mentioned. Is it possible for you to send it to me via email, if you have a pdf format of it?
Bear in mind that the book may still be in copyright. If so, it would be an offence to copy and transmit it to somebody else.

If you want a grammar, I suggest you find one that was published recently, rather than one first published 72 years ago. The language has changed quite a bit in the last seven decades.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Teacher Haseli:

Thank you for your very kind note.

Mr. Smart's book is really great. For example, it has a wonderful section explaining the many uses of "as," one of my favorite

words.

I imagine that you could find a copy in a good library.

You also might try some some of the book sellers online. They might offer used copies.

It was published by Prentice-Hall in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, United States of America. I do not know whether or not
they are still in business, but I am sure that you could find out on the Web and write them telling them your interest in getting a copy.

It's a great book. So I hope that you are able to get a copy. It will really help you understand things so that you are able to explain them with confidence to your students.

Sincerely,

James

UPDATE: I have just googled "English Review Grammar Fourth Edition Walter Kay Smart." Several companies seem to offer copies of that book.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.