Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Siren songs

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 1,038
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Siren songs

    Please help me check the following sentence.

    The ancient Greek sailors were afraid of hearing the enchanting music and voices of Sirens, which lured nearby sailors to steal/block the sailors’ aspiration/eagerness for returning home.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 1,696
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Siren songs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashiuhto View Post
    Please help me check the following sentence.

    The ancient Greek sailors were afraid of hearing the enchanting music and voices of Sirens, which lured nearby sailors to steal/block the sailors’ aspiration/eagerness for returning home.
    To "lure" is to attract. The Sirens attracted sailors. The sailors were first lured, and then forced to come to the island where the Sirens were. Your sentence would be better if you wrote - "...which lured nearby sailors and stole (In the sense of, to take away) the sailor's desires to return home".

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,372
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Siren songs

    I understood that Sirens caused the sailors to shipwreck. That's a bit more than taking away their desire to return home. It is removing their ability to return.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 1,696
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Siren songs

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    I understood that Sirens caused the sailors to shipwreck. That's a bit more than taking away their desire to return home. It is removing their ability to return.
    You are correct, but, prior to the time that the ships wrecked on the island, the sailor's intentions (hopes, desires, aspirations, plans) had to be changed by the songs of the Sirens. Absent the lure of the Sirens, the sailors would have sailed on to their homes.

  1. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Siren songs

    Interesting Am Eng use of shipwreck/wreck. In Br English the verb is purely transitive: they were shipwrecked.

    Carry on please.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,372
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Siren songs

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Interesting Am Eng use of shipwreck/wreck. In Br English the verb is purely transitive: they were shipwrecked.

    Carry on please.

    b
    So, you've never wrecked a car? You've only had a car wrecked? I did not know that.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Sep 2012
    • Posts: 127
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Siren songs

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    So, you've never wrecked a car? You've only had a car wrecked? I did not know that.
    Cars are not ships

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Siren songs

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    So, you've never wrecked a car? You've only had a car wrecked? I did not know that.
    I think Bob was referring to this "... prior to the time that the ships wrecked on the island ..."

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,990
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Siren songs

    We don't generally say that we "wrecked a car" though. We might say we crashed the car, and if it's not possible to repair it, then we wrote off the car. It's a write-off.

    - Mum, I've crashed the car.
    - What?! How much is it going to cost to fix?
    - Oh, they can't fix it. I guess I should have said that I've written off the car.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,372
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Siren songs

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    We don't generally say that we "wrecked a car" though. We might say we crashed the car, and if it's not possible to repair it, then we wrote off the car. It's a write-off.

    - Mum, I've crashed the car.
    - What?! How much is it going to cost to fix?
    - Oh, they can't fix it. I guess I should have said that I've written off the car.
    We say "totaled." If the cost to repair is more than the value of the car, it is totaled. You get a check and the insurance company takes your wrecked car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Vocabulary] siren
    By saramehr in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-Apr-2010, 20:27
  2. Don't use your manners on a siren
    By saramehr in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-Apr-2010, 20:29
  3. Don't use your manners on a siren
    By saramehr in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Apr-2010, 21:58
  4. Can singing English songs (esp. rap songs) help reduce one's accent?
    By BIN in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 31-Jul-2009, 01:08
  5. Betty Siren says hello...
    By bettysiren in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Sep-2006, 09:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •