Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please help me check the following sentence.

The ancient Greek sailors were afraid of hearing the enchanting music and voices of Sirens, which lured nearby sailors to steal/block the sailors’ aspiration/eagerness for returning home.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please help me check the following sentence.

The ancient Greek sailors were afraid of hearing the enchanting music and voices of Sirens, which lured nearby sailors to steal/block the sailors’ aspiration/eagerness for returning home.
To "lure" is to attract. The Sirens attracted sailors. The sailors were first lured, and then forced to come to the island where the Sirens were. Your sentence would be better if you wrote - "...which lured nearby sailors and stole (In the sense of, to take away) the sailor's desires to return home".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I understood that Sirens caused the sailors to shipwreck. That's a bit more than taking away their desire to return home. It is removing their ability to return.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I understood that Sirens caused the sailors to shipwreck. That's a bit more than taking away their desire to return home. It is removing their ability to return.
You are correct, but, prior to the time that the ships wrecked on the island, the sailor's intentions (hopes, desires, aspirations, plans) had to be changed by the songs of the Sirens. Absent the lure of the Sirens, the sailors would have sailed on to their homes.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Interesting Am Eng use of shipwreck/wreck. In Br English the verb is purely transitive: they were shipwrecked.

Carry on please. ;-)

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Interesting Am Eng use of shipwreck/wreck. In Br English the verb is purely transitive: they were shipwrecked.

Carry on please. ;-)

b

So, you've never wrecked a car? You've only had a car wrecked? I did not know that.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So, you've never wrecked a car? You've only had a car wrecked? I did not know that.
I think Bob was referring to this "... prior to the time that the ships wrecked on the island ..."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We don't generally say that we "wrecked a car" though. We might say we crashed the car, and if it's not possible to repair it, then we wrote off the car. It's a write-off.

- Mum, I've crashed the car.
- What?! How much is it going to cost to fix?
- Oh, they can't fix it. I guess I should have said that I've written off the car.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We don't generally say that we "wrecked a car" though. We might say we crashed the car, and if it's not possible to repair it, then we wrote off the car. It's a write-off.

- Mum, I've crashed the car.
- What?! How much is it going to cost to fix?
- Oh, they can't fix it. I guess I should have said that I've written off the car.

We say "totaled." If the cost to repair is more than the value of the car, it is totaled. You get a check and the insurance company takes your wrecked car.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I've wrecked a car, but my car has never wrecked. (It seems to me possible that the US use of total might have something to do with the French perte total, but I'd have to do some research into the growth of US motor insurance (perhaps starting in Louisiana...:-? ;-)) to be sure.

b

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We say "totaled." If the cost to repair is more than the value of the car, it is totaled. You get a check and the insurance company takes your wrecked car.

We total cars too, but we'd use a double L in the past simple.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We total cars too, but we'd use a double L in the past simple.

I wasn't sure so I went with the spelling that my browser liked.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
My browser likes the double letter version- it's a BrE/AmE thing

Status
Not open for further replies.