Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. englishhobby's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,119
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    School Practice or Teaching Practice

    My students are trained to be English teachers and there is a booklet with English texts and assignments for them called "School Practice". Does this title sound all right? Will it be better to change it to "Teaching Practice" or both variants are possible?
    If I were a native speaker of English, I would never shut up. :-)

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: School Practice or Teaching Practice

    I'd use only 'Teaching Practice'. However, there may be English-speaking parts of the world where 'School Practice' is the term used.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,077
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: School Practice or Teaching Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by englishhobby View Post
    My students are trained to be English teachers and there is a booklet with English texts and assignments for them called "School Practice". Does this title sound all right? Will it be better to change it to "Teaching Practice" or both variants are possible?
    Teaching Practice, in BrE, is when a student teacher spends some time on placement in a school, teaching under the supervision of a qualified teacher.

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: School Practice or Teaching Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Teaching Practice, in BrE, is when a student teacher spends some time on placement in a school, teaching under the supervision of a qualified teacher.
    That's what I was referring to.

    Sorry, englishhobby. I did not read your question carefully enough. I would not call a booklet with English texts and assignments Teaching Practice or School Practice.

  5. englishhobby's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,119
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: School Practice or Teaching Practice

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    That's what I was referring to.

    Sorry, englishhobby. I did not read your question carefully enough. I would not call a booklet with English texts and assignments Teaching Practice or School Practice.
    The matter is that this booklet is made for studying English, not methodology. We have such booklets of texts and exercises on some topics according to the curriculum. Alongside with topics "Family", "Travelling", "Sport" and the like we have this topic "Teaching Practice". When studying it they share their experience about their first guided teaching practice with other students (in English), discuss various topics related to the subject, make up dialogues which (hopefully) also contributes to improving their speaking skills.

    So, it's "Teaching Practice" then.
    If I were a native speaker of English, I would never shut up. :-)

Similar Threads

  1. Practice Exam questions - I can't understand the practice questions...
    By HanibalII in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Oct-2012, 01:56
  2. I need to do more practice
    By *pushkar* in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-Mar-2012, 15:21
  3. teaching practice
    By learn in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-May-2009, 12:36
  4. practice
    By IMPSX-UE in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Feb-2009, 10:13
  5. practice
    By peter123 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Jul-2008, 07:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •