Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Whoever and Whomever

Dear teachers :

Just as the thread I posted on november 30th, 2012, in which I said that I had a good knowledge of the use of as well and as well as, but confused in the usage with just as well. In this thread I want to show the same case with the relative pronouns who and whom, but confused in using the indefinite relative pronouns whoever and whomever in a same sentence.

I know how to use each of them as well as its grammar rules; who is used as subject and whom as object of a verb, I also learned that whoever and whomever function as noun clause and they are the subordinate or dependent clause in the sentence, in my opinion, this is the best way of knowing how to use them either as subject or object, but I need more explanations who get me out of doubt in using both in a same sentence, like this : whoever goes to the store can talk to whomever one likes (he/she likes)

The followings are sentences I made with whoever and whomever independently, please, check if they are correct and help me in making sentences with both of them in a same sentence.

A) Whoever : Subject noun clause

The subject of a verb is found by asking who performs the action.

1) You can give the last chocolate to whoever needs it
(You is the subject of the verb can give and whoever is the subject of the verb need, thus whoever needs it, being the noun clause)

2) Whoever wants to know the truth can ask me. (whoever wants to know the truth is the noun clause and whoever is the subject of the verb ask)

3 You talk to whoever is inside (You and whoever are the subjects of the verbs talk and be, whoever is inside, is the noun clause which acts as noun subject as well.)

4) Whoever walks with evil, ends up evil. (whoever walks with evil is the noun clause which atcs as subject and whoever is the subject of the phrasal verb end up)

5) Whoever stays in that house, has to be carefull of thieves. (whoever stays in the house is the noun clause, whoever is the object of the verb have to)

B) Whomever : Object noun clause

The object of a verb is found by asking what or who received the action.

1) The teachers may enjoy whomever they choose. (what the teachers may enjoy ? whomever they choose, which is the noun clause acting as object and whomever being the object of the verb may enjoy)

2) I will hire whomever I can find.
(who will I hire ? whomever I can find, whomever is the object of the verb hire and whomever I can find, is the noun clause which acts as object.)

3) She will work on the project with whomever you subject.
(who will she work on the project ? with whomever you subject, whoever is the object of the verb will work and whomever you subject, is the noun clause)

4) I speak to whomever I like.
(who do I speak ? whomever I like, whomever I like, is the noun clause, whomever is the object of the verb speak)

5) Whomever we elect for president will server a four-year term.
(who will serve a four-year term ? whomever we elect for president. Here we is the subject of the verb elect, president is the subject of the verb will serve, the noun clause is whomever we elect for president and whomever is the object of the verb will serve)

* This last sentence was stood corrected, it was witten as whoever in whoever sentences.

I would also appreciate those teachers who help me in this matter to verify the thread I posted previously about the use of just as well, if it is possible to tell me more explanations regarding this topic and which word or phrase I can use to replace just as well in the examples a teacher wrote or in the ones that someone else writes.

Respectfully.

Grammarfreak

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Whomever is rarely used in modern British English, more rarely even than whom. One reason for this may be uncertainty about its correctness.

Whoever is clearly correct in: Whoever wants to know the truth can ask me. (=any person, subject, who, subject)
Whomever can be justified in: I will hire whomever I can find. (= any person, object, whom, object)

However, which is correct in these? -

1) Who(m)ever we elect for president will serve a four years term. (=any person, subject, whom, object.
2) I will hire who(m)ever turns up. (=any person, object, who, subject).

Be like 99% of native speakers and don't use whomever.

Mark Wilson

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
5jj, I want to PM you about an entirely different thread, but cannot. Feel free to delete this, but please get in touch with me.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
5jj, I want to PM you about an entirely different thread, but cannot. Feel free to delete this, but please get in touch with me.

We don't answer questions in private messages. If you have a question please post it on the forum.

grammarfreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Thank you Mark :

According to this website I need to have at least 20 posts to sent Private Message and I only have 15, but you can sent me any information to my E-Mail if you want.

juliany2103@hotmail.com

I would appreciate your help

Sincerely

Grammarfreak

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A) Whoever :

1) Whoever we elect for president will serve a four-year term. NO. (We elect whomever for ....)

2) Whoever wants to know the truth can ask me. YES.

3 You talk to whoever is inside YES.

4) Whoever walks with evil, ends up evil. YES.

B ) Whomever :

1) The teachers may enjoy whomever they choose. YES.

2) I will hire whomever I can find. YES.

3) She will work on the project with whomever you subject. Subject?

4) I speak to whomever I like YES

***** NOT A TEACHER *****
Hello,

I have been told that we non-teacher members are allowed to express our opinions to other members.

May I first congratulate you on your excellent understanding of the difference. I am pretty sure that most Americans of

all ages could not have done as well as you did in those sentences above.

Next, may I respectfully suggest that you keep perfecting your knowledge of "who" and "whom" and that you use those

words, especially in writing.

I am certain that here in the United States, many people will have more respect for you if you use "choice English" in

your writing. If you attend an American university, for example, I am sure that many of the professors will be very much

impressed by your understanding of those two words.

James

Mark Wilson

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We don't answer questions in private messages. If you have a question please post it on the forum.
I had a clarification for a thread that 5jj had locked. I stumbled into this place after searching Google about the subject of the locked thread. 5jj was the mod who had locked the thread, and asked to be PM'ed if anyone had additional information. This forum was actually the top result for the search in question, so I registered for the forum, but found that I still could not PM 5jj.

Please don't bother to pursue this any further; I am sorry for wasting anyone's time. Looks like a cool forum. My father and I really enjoy language, and enjoy interacting with those dedicated to grammar, clarity, and articulation.

Last edited:

grammarfreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Thank you Jame for your assistance :

If it is possible check another thread I posted on november 30th, 2012, about the use of just as well and make your comment, I would appreciate that.

My best wishes,

Grammarfreak

grammarfreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Dear members and teachers :

If I have insulted any member or teacher with some of my posts or some of my posts have motivated any inconvinience among members, I want to apologize those who have felt insulted or disrepected, I am an english student from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, I have time studying this language, first on my own and now in an institution, I am very interesting in grammar and I have found this website very useful in my learning and knowledge.

I apologize again for any misunderstanding and I want you to know that I feel very pleased with the assistance that you have always given to me.

Very respecfully,

Grammarfreak

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I had a clarification for a thread that 5jj had locked. I stumbled into this place after searching Google about the subject of the locked thread. 5jj was the mod who had locked the thread, and asked to be PM'ed if anyone had additional information. This forum was actually the top result for the search in question, so I registered for the forum, but found that I still could not PM 5jj.

Please don't bother to pursue this any further; I am sorry for wasting anyone's time. Looks like a cool forum. My father and I really enjoy language, and enjoy interacting with those dedicated to grammar, clarity, and articulation.

I'm afraid we have various security measures in place to protect the forum from spam and advertising, so people can only post links and PMs after they have posted ten times.

Threads that haven't had any new posts for a few months are also closed automatically. This helps reduce the scope for advertisers to search for keywords and bombard us with nonsense. If you want a thread to be re-opened, please contact one of us. For the moment, the best thing to do is to post the link here with spaces instead of dots and we will open it. I apologise for the inconvenience, but in the endless war against spam and astroturfing, I am afraid that the innocent also lose options.

When we started, we allowed people to post without registering. Nowadays, with automated spambots, that would be a disaster.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

grammarfreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Thank you and you are right 5jj :

I stand corrected that in the first sentence of whoever we is the subject of the verb elect and president of the verb will serve, so in this case whomever is the object of the sentence, so I will add another more and place that sentence in its correct place.

Respecfully,

Grammarfreak.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.