[Vocabulary] question about whether to include the word 'past'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr3tdicipl3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello dear Teachers
I want to use one of the senteces below. However, I'm unsured of which (if any) are correct to use:

A) Over the two weeks before the day we're supposed to meet, I wrote a letter.
B) Over the past two weeks, before the day we're supposed to meet, I wrote a letter.

Could you please check if any of those will do? thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello dear Teachers
I want to use one of the senteces below. However, I'm unsured of which (if any) are correct to use:

B) Over the past two weeks, before the day we're supposed to meet, I wrote a letter.

Neither of them make a great deal of sense.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello dear Teachers

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say either. At some point in the last two weeks, before the day (in the future) that you are scheduled to meet someone, you wrote a letter? What is the relevance of the letter?

In order to help you, we need to know a few things:

1) On what date is the sentence being written?
2) On what date is the meeting between the two people due to take place?
3) Who is the letter for?
4) Why is it important that the letter was written during the last/past two weeks?

Last edited:

gr3tdicipl3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess I should have provided more context. However, I thought it wouldn't revelant to check for the sentence itself. The thing is that this is not for real life but, it's a sentence said from a character in a movie. I was curious about the original sentence which was "Over the past two weeks, before the day we're supposed to meet, I wrote a letter to her." So, that's why I didn't mention it. I didn't mean to waste anyone's time. Is that I might use this sentence in the future. so, I just wanted to check it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sentences can be right in one context and wrong in another. This is very hard to understand without the context. It's hard to imagine why someone would want to use this exact sentence in the future.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You also quoted a slightly different sentence in post #1. You missed out a comma, and you omitted "to her" at the end. If you had given us the full sentence, and explained that it was a quote from a film, you probably would have got slightly different answers.

gr3tdicipl3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well a more detail and better reason (which i forgot to say) is that I want to write a narrative essay in which could have a similar moment that feels right for one of my character to say that. anyway, thanks for the input, I now see that a sentence can make sense depending on the context not just the grammar itself.

gr3tdicipl3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't believe that i miss that comma mistake, and forgot to included "her". anyway, I now know that context can affect whether a sentence will make sense or not and not just the grammar itself. I learn from my mistakes. So, next time I'll provide context if I have to.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't believe that i miss that comma mistake, and forgot to included "her". anyway, I now know that context can affect whether a sentence will make sense or not and not just the grammar itself. I learn from my mistakes. So, next time I'll provide context if I have to.

It's much easier for us to help you if you provide full sentences and the context every time, whether you think you have to or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.