• Home Country:
      • Austria
      • Current Location:
      • Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default could be/eclaimed

Hello everyone,

Could someone help me by naming tenses and uses:

He could well be right, since German newspapers were full of praise for the $15m musical. The tabloid Bild exclaimed, "Rocky knocks Hamburg out", while headlines in the local press dubbed the musical "a triumph" and declared: "Big emotions, big theatre".

Directed by Alex Timbers, who is leading workshops on the recently reported Jeff Buckley musical The Last Goodbye, Rocky has a score by Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty and a book by Thomas Meehan.

Here are my suggestions:

could be: modal auxiliary verb, because it's a kind of a chance/prohability - is he right?
    were: Past Tense Simple, because it's a finished action they were full, but they aren't now.
    exclaimed: Past Tense Simple, Statement in the Past
    knocks: It's a quotation now, Present Tense simple, because it's a general statement
    dubbed: is used as a Past Participle?
    declared: Past Participle?
    Directed by: Past Participle?
    is leading: Present Tense Progressive, because it's a permanent event - he is leading workshops
    has: Present Tense Simple, that's a general statement

Thx.

TheParser is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: could be/eclaimed

Quote Originally Posted by tom92 View Post

He could well be right, since German newspapers were full of praise for the $15m musical. The tabloid Bild exclaimed, "Rocky knocks Hamburg out", while headlines in the local press dubbed the musical "a triumph" and declared: "Big emotions, big theatre".

Directed by Alex Timbers, who is leading workshops on the recently reported Jeff Buckley musical The Last Goodbye, Rocky has a score by Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty and a book by Thomas Meehan.

Here are my suggestions:

could be: modal auxiliary verb, because it's a kind of a chance/prohability - is he right? [I agree. It is something like "might."]
    were: Past Tense Simple, because it's a finished action they were full, but they aren't now. [Yes]
    exclaimed: Past Tense Simple, Statement in the Past [Yes]
    knocks: It's a quotation now, Present Tense simple, because it's a general statement [Yes]
    dubbed: is used as a Past Participle? [Isn't it just the past of "to dub"?]
    declared: Past Participle?[Isn't it just the past of "to declare"?]

Directed by: Past Participle? [Yes, I agree. "Rocky, which is directed by ....]
    is leading: Present Tense Progressive, because it's a permanent event - he is leading workshops [Yes]
    has: Present Tense Simple, that's a general statement [Yes]

Thx.
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I have given you my opinions above

James