Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Is it possible to say "He lost concsiousness and plunged into a nightmare"?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Possible? Yes. Probable? I don't think it's a good combination, but then authors/journalists take many liberties. It would depend on context and the remaining statements/dialogue.

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Possible? Yes. Probable? I don't think it's a good combination, but then authors/journalists take many liberties. It would depend on context and the remaining statements/dialogue.

What verb is more appropriate? May be "sink" instead of "plunge"?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What verb is more appropriate? May be (Maybe) "sink" instead of "plunge"?
If you elect to use "sink" you would have to use the past tense of the word, "sunk". The problem I have with the sentence, regardless of the verb, is that there is the sense that the nightmare was going on before the person lost consciousness. As the person lost consciousness, he fell/sunk/plunged into an ongoing event (the nightmare). Because nightmares are usually thought of as originating in a person's mind during sleep, it is difficult to accept the concept that the nighmare was there while the person was alert. This is similar to saying, "He lost consciousness and plunged into Hell". Here, Hell is understood to be a place that had an existence prior to the person losing consciousness.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"He lost consciousness and then descended into a nightmare" perhaps?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What verb is more appropriate? May be "sink" instead of "plunge"?

The problem I have is "nightmare" in combination with losing consciousness. I just feel that when one loses consciousness the possibility of experiencing a nightmare or dream would be unusual. However, if the "nightmare" represented some external situation such as a fire or riot, I could understand. But again, context might help (me, at least). One other point, when I see the phrase "lost consciousness and plunged into a....." I expect to see the word "coma".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The problem I have is "nightmare" in combination with losing consciousness. I just feel that when one loses consciousness the possibility of experiencing a nightmare or dream would be unusual. However, if the "nightmare" represented some external situation such as a fire or riot, I could understand. But again, context might help (me, at least). One other point, when I see the phrase "lost consciousness and plunged into a....." I expect to see the word "coma".

Ah, I see your point. Yes, you're right. We dream and have nightmares when we're asleep. I doubt we do either when we're unconscious but I suppose, in reality, we don't know.

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

I've been ambiguous. Sorry! I meant that a man lost his consciousness becase of the poison which provoked these half hallucinations half nightmare.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've been ambiguous. Sorry! I meant that a man lost his consciousness becase of the poison which provoked these half hallucinations half nightmare.

Ambiguity is not a problem. The problem is simply the fact that when someone loses consciousness, we can't possibly know if they dream, have nightmares or have hallucinations. Losing consciousness is not the same as simply falling asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.