Post Thanks / Like

Default california english

Hi everybody!!!!!!
    I'm new here and I'm from Italy!
    I am about to graduate in languages and so I have started to gather material for my final examination which is about california english, its features (grammar, lexical, syntax, phonologocal) and the influence it has on standard American English. For example the word "awesome" has entered everyday national usage.
    Could you please help me to make a list of all its main features and tell me some terms that has had national or even international diffusion thanks also to movie or tv series like charmed and buffy (that I like very much!!)? I would appreciate it a lot because I haven't found information enough in libraries...
    I chose to study English because it's a language that I like very much!!
    I study spanish too!!
    My name is Stefania by the way!!

e2e4 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: california english

If I were from California I would help you the way you asked.

But I'll tell you what! Once I had a word to a girl from California and it was almost hard talk. I neither could have understood her English (accent) easy nor to have been agreed to her opinions. She thought she knew all about some problems in Bosnia better than I myself even though I had been born and lived here all the time and she called in Bosnia for the first time in her whole life. (she never hadn't ever called in Bosnia before.) Later on and after a while I realised she was instructed to talk on such way.
    Last edited by e2e4; 27-Jul-2008 at 18:11.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: california english

Quote Originally Posted by sink View Post
    Hi everybody!!!!!!
    I'm new here and I'm from Italy!
    I am about to graduate in languages and so I have started to gather material for my final examination which is about california english, its features (grammar, lexical, syntax, phonologocal) and the influence it has on standard American English. For example the word "awesome" has entered everyday national usage.
    Could you please help me to make a list of all its main features and tell me some terms that has had national or even international diffusion thanks also to movie or tv series like charmed and buffy (that I like very much!!)? I would appreciate it a lot because I haven't found information enough in libraries...
    I chose to study English because it's a language that I like very much!!
    I study spanish too!!
    My name is Stefania by the way!!
    Have you tried searching the net for leads: californian english - Google Search