Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Can we use an indefinite article referring it to the head-noun modified by a plural noun in the genitive case considering the latter as a descriptive attribute?
e.g.
a soldiers' canteen, a girls' school, a three miles' walk, a fifteen minutes' break
, etc. ?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Can we use an indefinite article referring it to the head-noun modified by a plural noun in the genitive case considering the latter as a descriptive attribute?
e.g.
a soldiers' canteen, a girls' school, a three miles' walk, a fifteen minutes' break
, etc. ?

The first two are OK, although I don't like the first one much, it doesn't feel natural. The second two are not possible.

sergeyrais

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear Moderator,
Could you recommend me a trustworthy grammar reference where I would find some information about the use of articles with countable nouns modified by nouns in the genetive case?

sergeyrais

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The first two are OK, although I don't like the first one much, it doesn't feel natural. The second two are not possible.

a three days’ absence
a two miles’ distance
a three miles' walk
a fifteen minutes' break

Is there anything wrong in the following explanation of the constructions above?

1. The -'s genitive is possible with certain nouns denoting time, distance and measure.
2. It is possible to use plural nouns with the -'s genitive.
3. The noun in the genitive case may be used as a classifying (descriptive) attribute before a noun.
4. A noun modified with a classifying (descriptive) attribute should be used with an indefinite article

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
a three days’ absence
a two miles’ distance
a three miles' walk
a fifteen minutes' break
None of these examples is very natural.

sergeyrais

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
None of these examples is very natural.

Dear 5jj,
Should one identify these examples as unnatural through linguistic intuition or are there any special rules in the English grammar which make the examples incorrect?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Should one identify these examples as unnatural through linguistic intuition or are there any special rules in the English grammar which make the examples incorrect?
There are no firm rules that I know of. It's simply a matter of some forms being acceptable and others not. You can read more on Genitive meanings, Genitive as determiner and Gender as modifier in Quirk et al (1985), A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language, London: UOP, pages 321-331. You could also try Huddleston and Pullum (2002), The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language, Cambridge: CUP, pages 467-483.

sergeyrais

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
There are no firm rules that I know of. It's simply a matter of some forms being acceptable and others not. You can read more on Genitive meanings, Genitive as determiner and Gender as modifier in Quirk et al (1985), A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language, London: UOP, pages 321-331. You could also try Huddleston and Pullum (2002), The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language, Cambridge: CUP, pages 467-483.

not a teacher

Dear 5jj,
Thank you indeed for your advising me the Grammar references. They are really useful. Having read
Quirk et al (1985),
A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language, London: UOP, pages 321-331I found out a mistake in my explanation of indefinite articles in the phrases
a three days’ absence, a two miles’ distance, a three miles' walk,
a fifteen minutes' break etc., for I claimed the genitive of those phrases to be a descriptive one, but it turned out to be a genitive of measure, thus not giving us a good reason for
referring
an indefinite article
to the head-noun modified by a plural noun in the genitive case. But if it were a descriptive genitive, I believe things would be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.