Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello everyone,

I wonder if I can use the object of a sentence at the beginning of the sentence. For example is it ok if I say "Solace she finds in music," instead of "She finds solace in music" ? What kind of feeling does it give to the reader if I say it like the first one? Is it more poetic for example? I asked this to a friend and got the answer that "This kind of usage is not familiar". But I still want to know that if it is a poem or a lyric, is it acceptable to make sentences like that (beginning with objects)?​

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In poetry and song lyrics, grammar and "correct" English are frequently ignored in favour of rhyme, rhythm and cadence.

Veggie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you very much :)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Veggie:

Sometimes the object comes first for emphasis and in order to be humorous or lighthearted:

Hostess (at a party): Would you like some cookies? I have just baked them.

Mona (who is a little overweight): Oh, my! Cookies I don't need!

Hostess (smiling): I see what you mean, dear!

You are absolutely correct. Putting the object (or complement) ahead of the verb gives a very nice effect. Here are some examples that I have collected. Please enjoy:

One error does not a career make.

Close friends these two men were not.

Him have I often seen.

Let thy sound [referring to a bell] my death tell.

Till death us do part.

James

Veggie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Veggie:

Sometimes the object comes first for emphasis and in order to be humorous or lighthearted:

Hostess (at a party): Would you like some cookies? I have just baked them.

Mona (who is a little overweight): Oh, my! Cookies I don't need!

Hostess (smiling): I see what you mean, dear!

You are absolutely correct. Putting the object (or complement) ahead of the verb gives a very nice effect. Here are some examples that I have collected. Please enjoy:

One error does not a career make.

Close friends these two men were not.

Him have I often seen.

Let thy sound [referring to a bell] my death tell.

Till death us do part.

James

Thank you very much for the explanation and all the examples! I need to ask something though. I was told that the sentence "Solace she finds in music" creates a need to hear the continuation of the sentence, as if this sentence is the first part of a longer sentence. In other words; I was told that "It sounds as if you will say something like that: Solace she finds in music but her real success is in literature." Do you get that feeling also?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much for the explanation and all the examples! I need to ask something though. I was told that the sentence "Solace she finds in music" creates a need to hear the continuation of the sentence, as if this sentence is the first part of a longer sentence. In other words; I was told that "It sounds as if you will say something like that: Solace she finds in music but her real success is in literature." Do you get that feeling also?

Yes and no.

Where does she find solace and peace?
Solace she finds in music. Peace she finds in art.

Where do you buy mushrooms and peppers.
Mushrooms I buy in the supermarket. Peppers I buy at the local greengrocers.

How do you cook potatoes?
Roast potatoes I do in the oven but baked potatoes I tend to cook in the microwave.

As you can see, more than one piece of information can be required in an answer and the construction can be spread over separate sentences, or the information can be joined with "and", "but" etc.

Veggie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Yes and no.

Where does she find solace and peace?
Solace she finds in music. Peace she finds in art.

Where do you buy mushrooms and peppers.
Mushrooms I buy in the supermarket. Peppers I buy at the local greengrocers.

How do you cook potatoes?
Roast potatoes I do in the oven but baked potatoes I tend to cook in the microwave.

As you can see, more than one piece of information can be required in an answer and the construction can be spread over separate sentences, or the information can be joined with "and", "but" etc.

So as far as I understood from the examples, that I leave the sentence just like that and don't add any other sentences won't be a problem; right?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So as far as I understood from the examples, that I leave the sentence just like that and don't add any other sentences won't be a problem; right?
It would generally be safer to follow normal word order, i.e., with the object after the verb.

Veggie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thanks for your precious answers. Please add any new idea if you have in mind :)

Status
Not open for further replies.