See above for my comments.Hi teachers,
This is for a listening comprehension exercise. The text is from a CD.
Alex Dinon escaped from prison yesterday.
If this is what the students will hear:
Don’t run away. I’m only an old woman.’ She looked at him carefully. ‘You’re dirty, and hungry, and tired … and afraid. Am I right?’Alex smiled slowly. ‘Yes,’ he said. ‘Well, come back to my house and have some food. And you can have some of my husband’s old clothes. He died last winter.’
Would the following be suitable questions and answers?
1. Why shouldn’t Alex escape? Because she was only an old woman.
"Escape" does not really work here. There is a difference between "escape" and "run away".
2. Did she examine him cautiously? Yes, she did.
"Carefully" and "cautiously" are not the same.
3. What was her personal impression about him? He was dirty, hungry, and tired.
We say "impression of someone", but I don't really think this fits here anyway. An impression of someone would be thinking that they are suspicious or unpleasant or clever. She could clearly see that he was dirty, hungry and tired so it's not really an impression.
4. Where did she want him to go? She wanted him to go to her house.
5. What could he get there? He could get some food and some of her husband’s clothes. or
Yes, or "What could he be given there?"
6. When did her husband pass away? He passed away last winter.
Thanks in advance.