(2) Could you correct or confirm the questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
This is for a listening comprehension exercise. The text is from a CD.
Alex Dinon escaped from prison yesterday.

If this is what the students will hear:
Don’t run away. I’m only an old woman.’ She looked at him carefully. ‘You’re dirty, and hungry, and tired … and afraid. Am I right?’Alex smiled slowly. ‘Yes,’ he said. ‘Well, come back to my house and have some food. And you can have some of my husband’s old clothes. He died last winter.’

Would the following be suitable questions and answers?
1. Why shouldn’t Alex escape? Because she was only an old woman.
2. Did she examine him cautiously? Yes, she did.
3. What was her personal impression about him? He was dirty, hungry, and tired.
4. Where did she want him to go? She wanted him to go to her house.
5. What could he get there? He could get some food and some of her husband’s clothes.
6. When did her husband pass away? He passed away last winter.

Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers,
This is for a listening comprehension exercise. The text is from a CD.
Alex Dinon escaped from prison yesterday.

If this is what the students will hear:
Don’t run away. I’m only an old woman.’ She looked at him carefully. ‘You’re dirty, and hungry, and tired … and afraid. Am I right?’Alex smiled slowly. ‘Yes,’ he said. ‘Well, come back to my house and have some food. And you can have some of my husband’s old clothes. He died last winter.’

Would the following be suitable questions and answers?
"Escape" does not really work here. There is a difference between "escape" and "run away".

"Carefully" and "cautiously" are not the same.

We say "impression of someone", but I don't really think this fits here anyway. An impression of someone would be thinking that they are suspicious or unpleasant or clever. She could clearly see that he was dirty, hungry and tired so it's not really an impression.

4. Where did she want him to go? She wanted him to go to her house.
That's fine.

5. What could he get there? He could get some food and some of her husband’s clothes. or
Yes, or "What could he be given there?"

6. When did her husband pass away? He passed away last winter.
That's fine.

Thanks in advance.

See above for my comments.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.

"Escape" does not really work here. There is a difference between "escape" and "run away".
Will it be better, 'Why shouldn’t Alex leave that field quickly? Because she was only an old woman.'

I really though they were. Then, I have no idea about how to write a challenging one.
Could it be, 'Did she examine him carelessly? No, she didn't. She did it carefully'.

We say "impression of someone", but I don't really think this fits here anyway. An impression of someone would be thinking that they are suspicious or unpleasant or clever. She could clearly see that he was dirty, hungry and tired so it's not really an impression.
How about this one?
According to the old lady, what was Alex's like? He was dirty, hungry, and tired.

TS

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How did she look at him?
What did she see when she looked at him? She saw that he was...

But you're back to the same problems we talked about many months ago.

She kwerbled at him smookily.
She she kwerble at him? Yes
How did she kwerbel at him? Smookily.
She wanted him to plurb greenwalt.
What did she want him to do? She wanted him to blub greenwalt.

The person doesn't have to understand a word of what actually happened to answer the questions.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
But you're back to the same problems we talked about many months ago.
Hi Barb_D,
Thank you for your reply. But I don't really think I am back to the same problems. The questions are different now. You don't get right away the answers according to the text and the questions.

TS

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.

Will it be better, 'Why shouldn’t Alex leave that field quickly? Because she was only an old woman.
How about "Why should Alex stay in the field?" - that way, you will find out if they understand that "to stay" is the opposite of "to run away".

I really though they were. Then, I have no idea about how to write a challenging one.
Could it be, 'Did she examine him carelessly? No, she didn't. She did it carefully.
Try "Did she only take a casual glance at him?" Again, that challenges them to realise that "to glance at" and "to look at" are similar, and whether they understand that doing something casually is (kind of) the opposite of doing it carefully.

How about this one?
According to the old lady, what was Alex's like? He was dirty, hungry, and tired.
I think you have a typo there. I'm sure you don't mean "Alex's like". How about "Did Alex look clean, well-fed and well-rested?" Again, you are bringing in new vocabulary and they have to look for connections (clean/dirty, well-fed/hungry, well-rested/tired).

I've put more info in red on each one.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,
WOW! Aren't they great ones!!:up:
How about "Why should Alex stay in the field?" - that way, you will find out if they understand that "to stay" is the opposite of "to run away". Yes! Yes! Yes!

Try "Did she only take a casual glance at him?" Again, that challenges them to realise that "to glance at" and "to look at" are similar, and whether they understand that doing something casually is (kind of) the opposite of doing it carefully. Indeed!

I think you have a typo there. I'm sure you don't mean "Alex's like". No, I don't. How about "Did Alex look clean, well-fed and well-rested?" Again, you are bringing in new vocabulary and they have to look for connections (clean/dirty, well-fed/hungry, well-rested/tired). I'm speechless.

Thank you so much.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.