Whichever radio station you want to play is fine with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine99

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
United States
Is Whichever radio station you want to play an adjective (relative) clause? I'm confused on the different elements of this dependent clause. Can someone diagram or parse the whole sentence for me?

Thank You

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is Whichever radio station you want to play an adjective (relative) clause? I'm confused on the different elements of this dependent clause. Can someone diagram or parse the whole sentence for me?

Thank You

No, not an adjectival but a concessive nominal clause, standing as the subject of the verb 'is', parsed as follows:

Whichever: concessive adjective,determining 'radio station'
radio station:
(compound) NP, object of 'play'
you:
pronoun, subject of 'want'
want:
finite verb of subordinate clause
(to) play:
dependent infinitive governed by 'want'

youngbut

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think in your sentnce whichever works like 'any'. In fact, I think 'any' contains a concessive meaning in itself. But any can not make the following structure by itself: Whichever(or whoever) try to fail the project will get the curse.
As a non-native English speaker, I also wonder how differently native speakers feel about 'Anyone who try to fail' and 'Whoever try to fail'. Anyway at a sight 'whoever' is shorter than 'anyone who'. So, I suppose as a human being, we all prefer a short version in live conversations and that is why English needs whoever/whichever in addition to anyone/any thing. But I don't know well they have a different connotaion.

I hope my thread have made any little help for you.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
IMO
Anyone who try to fail :cross:
Whoever try to fail :cross:

youngbut

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you for your correction. I did not know anyone and whoever are singular. I will not forget it.
By the way, Do you think they have a different connotaion?

Whoever says that is a liar.
Anyone says that is a liar.

Which is more formal or informal? and which sounds firmer?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think in your sentnce whichever works like 'any'. In fact, I think 'any' contains a concessive meaning in itself. But any can not make the following structure by itself: Whichever(or whoever) try to fail the project will get the curse.
As a non-native English speaker, I also wonder how differently native speakers feel about 'Anyone who try to fail' and 'Whoever try to fail'. Anyway at a sight 'whoever' is shorter than 'anyone who'. So, I suppose as a human being, we all prefer a short version in live conversations and that is why English needs whoever/whichever in addition to anyone/any thing. But I don't know well they have a different connotaion.

I hope my thread have made any little help for you.

Semantically identical, but structurally quite different!

In your rephrased version, the NP 'any radio station' would be the subject of the main clause, and '(that) you want to play' would be an (adjectival) relative clause modifying that subject phrase.

Status
Not open for further replies.