Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Switzerland
Hello. I'm applying for an exchange program and I need to write a cover letter. It would be nice of you to read and correct it. It doesn't need to be "fancy writing", because I am not a native speaker (far from it!) and they know it.

Thank you

----

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am currently a second year student at the faculty of Business and Economics and I am writing to express my interest in the exchange program. I deeply believe that going on exchange to North America would allow me to broaden my horizons in a number of ways.

The XX University sparked my interest due to its large campus, which stands in stark contrast to the moderate-sized YY University. The extensive course catalog includes international economics and finance as well as European economics. Those courses particularly appeal to me because they can provide a non-partisan perspective of the current economic issues in Europe.

Furthermore, studying abroad would enable me to become acquainted with another culture and to improve a foreign language. One of my cherished goals is to learn English up to a nearly native level. I’ve always been interested in foreign cultures and languages, perhaps because I’ve been exposed to other cultures since a young age. I come from northern Portugal, near the Spanish border, where I had to deal with two different languages on a daily basis. However, a major change in my life was moving to Switzerland at the age of fourteen. I had to learn French as well as to adapt to a new environment. I would like to be given the opportunity of a similar experience in North America.

Besides my studies, I have been working as a sales assistant in a retail shop since 2008. This work experience has revealed me to be a reliable, organized, dedicated individual. I am confident those qualities would help me make the most of an academic exchange.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Yours faithfully,

ME

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello. I'm applying for an exchange program and I need to write a cover letter. It would be nice of you to read and correct it. It doesn't need to be "fancy writing", because I am not a native speaker (far from it!) and they know it.

Thank you

----

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am currently a second year student at the faculty (student/faculty??) of Business and Economics and I am writing to express my interest in the exchange program. I deeply believe that [STRIKE]going on exchange to [/STRIKE] the program in North America would allow me to broaden my horizons in a number of ways.

The XX University sparked my interest due to its large campus, which stands in stark contrast to the moderate-sized YY University (I don't think your interest in a "large campus" would be considered a plus in your application) . I am impressed with the extensive course catalog that includes international economics and finance as well as European economics. Those courses particularly appeal to me because they can provide a non-partisan perspective of the current economic issues in Europe.

Furthermore, studying abroad would enable me to become acquainted with another culture and to improve [STRIKE]foreign[/STRIKE] another language. One of my cherished goals is to learn English [STRIKE]up to a nearly [/STRIKE] as close to native level as possible for me. [STRIKE]I’ve[/STRIKE] (Try not to use contractions in formal correspondence.) I have always been interested in foreign cultures and languages, perhaps because[STRIKE] I’ve [/STRIKE] I have been exposed to other cultures since a young age. I come from northern Portugal, near the Spanish border, where I had to deal with two different languages on a daily basis. However, a major change in my life was moving to Switzerland at the age of fourteen. I had to learn French as well as to adapt to a new environment. I would like to be given the opportunity of a similar experience in North America.

Besides my studies, I have been working as a sales assistant in a retail shop since 2008. This work experience has, I believe. [STRIKE]revealed[/STRIKE] enabled me to [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] become a reliable, organized, and dedicated individual. I am confident [STRIKE]those[/STRIKE] that these qualities would help me make the most of an academic exchange.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Yours faithfully,

ME

Nicely worded. Some suggestions and good luck.:up:

Salves

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Switzerland