Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please advise me on the correct usage.

I am a bit confused about the use of "it and they" to refer to non living things. My understanding is that we use "they" to refer to more than one person and "it" to refer to one or more non living objects. Can I use "they" to refer to more than one one non living object? I tried to read about this in the grammar books, but could not find the answer under the chapter pronouns.

The classes began in the morning.

It began in the morning. OR They began in the morning.

The alarms went off at 7AM

It went off at 7AM. OR They went off at 7AM

I would be very grateful for your help.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to Using English.

You use "they" for plural nouns, living, non-living, or living, but not human.
You use "it" for many living things - trees, animals that you don't feel affection for, coral reefs, etc.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I am a bit confused about the use of "it and they" to refer to non living things. My understanding is that we use "they" to refer to more than one person and "it" to refer to one or more non living objects. Can I use "they" to refer to more than one one non living object? I tried to read about this in the grammar books, but could not find the answer under the chapter pronouns.

No. "It" refers to only one thing, not many.
They (if there is information on what "they" are before this sentence) began in the morning. For example, "I registered for five classes. They began last week". "Of all the classes, my favorite is science. It is an afternoon class".

"it" is not used to refer to people. "I have a blue car. It is very fast". "they" can refer to people or objects - "All of my cars are fast. They are the fastest cars in town. Some of the other racers think my cars are too fast. They are just jealous".

It went off at 7AM ("alarms" means more than one alarm. "it" cannot be used here, use "they"). OR They went off at 7AM

Gil

sergeyrais

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

It went off at 7AM. OR They went off at 7AM

(not a teacher)
I think substitution of "they" with "it" is impossible unless we use "it" in the meaning of "this".

learnslow

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks very much for the very helpful responses. So can I say that "it" is for singular and "they" for plural.

learnslow

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Welcome to Using English.

You use "they" for plural nouns, living, non-living, or living, but not human.

Thanks very much for the helpful reply. Can I just ask one more question about the usage of "they"?

Rajeev and Rajesh opened the presents in the morning. They did not like any of the presents received.

Here "they" is used to refer to two human beings. Is this correct usage when "they" is used to describe two human beings?

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My comma misled you. I should have said living things that were not human. This is in addition to humans and non-living things.

Whether the single form is he, she, or it, the plural form is they.

Status
Not open for further replies.