I have two questions.
The first is about sentence structure. What category do parallel structure sentences fall into? Simple, compound, complex, compound-complex?
EXE: Our illness is treated with contempt, foul Black Draught, and castor oil that blunts our minds. (Toni Morrison)

If I expand the sentence by adding in the implied words, I believe it to be compound. But I am not positive.

Second question has to do with em dashes and , in part, pronouns.
EXE: Adults do not talk to us—they give us directions. (Toni Morrison)

I am a bit hazy on the function of pronouns in independent and dependent clauses. To my knowledge, a dependent clause requires a relative pronoun or subordinating conjunction.
So, does this mean that any other type of pronoun (personal, demonstrative, indefinite, reflexive, interrogative, possessive, and subject and object) can be used as the subject of an independent clause?

If that is the case, then the em dash in the example sentence above is acting like a coordinating conjunction with a comma, or a semi-colon. Or is the clause "they give us directions" a dependent clause or some other denomination such as free modifier (non-restrictive relative clause)?

Thanks.