Could you correct or confirm my explanations on Already and Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Already Yet.jpg
Hi teachers,
Information:
The character Robert is usually very lazy and almost never arrives at work on time.
His working hours are from 9:00 -6:00.

Thanks in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It would be much easier to comment on your explanations if you wrote them directly in the text of your message.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
It would be much easier to comment on your explanations if you wrote them directly in the text of your message.
Hi 5jj,
Here they are:
Already and Yet in Yes/No Questions: Their Differences

Grammar notes
They are indefinite adverbs of time often used with the present perfect.
They are used in yes / no questions to ask with emphasis about the possibility that actions have occurred at any time (in the past) up to now.

Already
The adverb already in a yes/no question carries some kind of positive thought or surprise for the past about something that was not
expected to be done in the past.
So, already,depending on the tone of the speaker means that s/he is surprised that the action took place or is taking place earlier than s/he expected or it could bea neutral question. Somehow we wait for a yes in the answer.

Yet
The adverb yet in a yes/no question carries some kind of negative thought for the future about something that was expected to be done in the past.
So, yet suggests that the speaker thinks that the action should be done by the moment of talking. Somehow we wait for a no in the answer.

Probably it is not that easy to explain their differences and I am not myself very convinced about those explanations.
Sometimes it is necessary and more time saving to use the students' mother tongue.

L.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

The adverb already in a yes/no question carries some kind of positive thought or surprise for the past about something that was not
expected to be done in the past.

It isn't necessarily positive:Has Simon's company gone bankrupt already?

So, already,depending on the tone of the speaker means that s/he is surprised that the action took place or is taking place earlier than s/he expected or it could be a neutral question. Somehow we (wait for) expect a yes in the answer.

Yet
The adverb yet in a yes/no question carries some kind of negative thought for the future about something that was expected to be done in the past.
So, yet suggests that the speaker thinks that the action should be done by the moment of talking. Somehow we (wait for) expect a no in the answer.
These suggestions are not necessarily true. After I had been working in Prague for about three months, my son asked me, "Can you speak any Czech yet?" There was no expection that I was expected to speak Czech by that time, and no expectation of a 'no' in response.

Probably it is not that easy to explain their differences and I am not myself very convinced about those explanations.
Sometimes it is necessary and more time saving to use the students' mother tongue. If you are sure that their language has exact equivalents for these words, then I see no harm at all in this; it can save a lot of time and frustration.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi 5jj,
Thank you so much for your corrections and commentaries. I'll do as you say because there are the exact equivalents for those words. Thank you for your advice.

TS

Last edited:

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi 5jj,
This one my previous one:
So, yet suggests that the speaker thinks that the action should be done by the moment of talking. Somehow weexpect a no in the answer.

Will this one better?
The adverb yet in a yes/no question
means that the speaker thinks the action should be done by now or it could be a neutral question. Somehow we expect a no in the answer.

L.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.