[Grammar] "You owe me" or "you owe to me"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
How is it better to say "You owe me" or "you owe to me"? And also can I say "A life for a life" (meaning that someone saved someone other's life and this saved man in his turn must save someone's life)?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How is it better to say "You owe me" or "you owe to me"? And also can I say "A life for a life" (meaning that someone saved someone other's life and this saved man in his turn must save someone's life)?

You owe me.

"A life for a life" sounds more like the sort of thing people say in favour of the death penalty - that if you take a life (kill someone) your life should be taken in exchange.

Man_From_India

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You owe me.

"A life for a life" sounds more like the sort of thing people say in favour of the death penalty - that if you take a life (kill someone) your life should be taken in exchange.

Just want to add something -
1. You owe $100 to me.
2. You owe me $100

Both are correct.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Without the mention of the hundred dollars, though, you owe me is the only possible form for me.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Just want to add something -
1. You owe $100 to me.
2. You owe me $100

Both are correct.

Native English speakers would not use #1 to mean the same as #2, Man_From_India. It needs something else, such as 'You owe $100 to me and $50 to my brother'.

Please state that you are not a teacher in accordance with the forum's Posting Guidelines. Thank you.

Rover

Man_From_India

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Native English speakers would not use #1 to mean the same as #2, Man_From_India. It needs something else, such as 'You owe $100 to me and $50 to my brother'.

Please state that you are not a teacher in accordance with the forum's Posting Guidelines. Thank you.

Rover

Oh I am sorry Rover. didn't know it.
Well yes, I am not a teacher.
But the thing is I didn't get the difference between #1 and #2. Please explain a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.