• Post Thanks / Like

Prepay or Prepaid Subscribers?

Hi everybody !

My name is Carlos, from Madrid, Spain. I am new here and I found this site by chance, but after surfing through it for a while I decided to register. As an introduction I post this question. The other day I was walking my way to visit a customer -I am an Electronics Engineer working for a large German company in the sales dept.- and I crossed with a sign at one of the entrance of the biggest Exhibition Center in Spain, IFEMA. The sign reads "Except Prepaid Subscribers", limiting the access of vehicles that have already paid for a parking subscription. When I read the sign my first reaction was to at the fact that only users that had been prepaid could enter with their vehicles ! Don't you think that the correct way to indicate this limitation would be "Except Prepay Subscribers" ?

Awaiting your comments, I attach a photo of the sign I made with my mobile telephone.

Kind regards,

Carlos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ExceptPrepaidSubscribers.jpg  

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prepay or Prepaid Subscribers?

Welcome, Carlos.

The subscribers prepaid.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prepay or Prepaid Subscribers?

Hi everybody !
    Thank you for the replies. Yes I understand that the idea here is to express an action that took place in the past (the subscribers already paid). But again, using an adjective formed by the past participle form of a verb can be misleading in my opinion. In this case, it is obvious that the subscribers have paid for the subscription -they have not been paid- but usually the "Prepaid" adjective implies a direct action on the subject: "Prepaid shipment", "Prepaid envelope", "Prepaid reply"... (someone previously paid for the shipment, for the envelope, for the reply, the shipment/envelope/reply did not pay by itself for anything). In the case of "Prepaid Subscribers" yes, the Subscribers paid for the Subscription (unless they were lucky enough to have someone else pay for their subscription ), so I see a kind of inversion here. But anyway, if this is common use, let's just leave it like that.
    Rgds,
    Carlos.