Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    kahraman is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    the sense of loneliness

    Hello, my name is Elena. I'm from Russia. I'm student of Teacher Training University. I'm writing my diploma work. It is called "The concept of loneliness in Russian and English". I would like to ask English native-speakers, how do you understand the word "loneliness" and what associations do you have?
    I'll be grateful for your help in my work

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,914
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the sense of loneliness

    For me, it's a feeling of solitude, insufficient company or support (at work, for example)

  3. #3
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the sense of loneliness

    Quote Originally Posted by kahraman View Post
    Hello, my name is Elena. I'm from Russia. I'm student of Teacher Training University. I'm writing my diploma work. It is called "The concept of loneliness in Russian and English". I would like to ask English native-speakers, how do you understand the word "loneliness" and what associations do you have?
    I'll be grateful for your help in my work
    In addition to Tdol's response (i.e. "at work"), 'and socially'.


  4. #4
    kahraman is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the sense of loneliness

    Thanks! But do you mean to don't communicate and deal with people at all or don't have a twin soul in a plenty of mates and relatives ? And what images do you have in your mind, when you listen "loneliness". May be you see some colour , picture or song?

  5. #5
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,914
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the sense of loneliness

    You don't have any/enough/the desired/the ideal company.

    It has no colour, sound etc, to me- you could associate it with blue/grey/black, but they're the standard colours for negative emotions, but there's nothing particular to loneliness IMO.

  6. #6
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the sense of loneliness

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    You don't have any/enough/the desired/the ideal company.

    It has no colour, sound etc, to me- you could associate it with blue/grey/black, but they're the standard colours for negative emotions, but there's nothing particular to loneliness IMO.
    In the tv show The Big Bang Theory, one of the characters said that the color of lonliness should be orange, because nothing rhymes with it. I thought that was really funny.

    The important thing to convey is one that English learners struggle with, based on the similarity of the words: Being alone doesn't make you lonely. And you can feel lonely when you are not physically alone.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  7. #7
    kahraman is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the sense of loneliness

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    The important thing to convey is one that English learners struggle with, based on the similarity of the words: Being alone doesn't make you lonely. And you can feel lonely when you are not physically alone.
    Thank you so much, it was exactly what I wanted to learn

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] dressing sense/dress sense
    By keen learner in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-Apr-2012, 15:44
  2. [Vocabulary] "Sense of hearing" or "sense of sound"?
    By Wynton in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Jun-2011, 21:52
  3. loneliness
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Sep-2007, 11:22
  4. two sense of the world 'sense'?
    By peteryoung in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Apr-2007, 05:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •