English Teacher
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello everyone.

A general rule of English pronunciation states that the 's' in plural nouns is to be pronounced as /z/ if it is preceded by a 'voiced consonant' such as /n/ or /g/, and as /s/ if it is preceded by a 'voiceless consonant' such as /t/ or /p/.

Therefore, "pens" is pronounced as /penz/ and "cats" is pronounced as /cats/.

Now my question is, do native speakers of English always follow this rule? Secondly, and this is what I really need to understand, does this rule apply also to the 's' in the verbs of 'third person singular subjects'?

–Prasad (Bangalore, India)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum, Teeture.

Why would you think that we wouldn't always follow this rule? Are you just looking for random exceptions to the rule?

Yes, it applies to the third person singular verb too:

He fits (fitz)
He sings (singz)
He hops (hops)
He takes (takes)

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Thank you for your helpful reply as always.
Will you make it clear, please? I haven’t seen that t sound is voiced thus far. Is there any exception? I apologize for taking your time out but as you know that non-native speakers can't master English the way it should be. As a result, we have to consult you.

Thank you,

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for your helpful reply as always. Will you make it clear, please? I haven’t seen that t sound is voiced thus far. Is there any exception? I apologize for taking your time out but as you know that non-native speakers can't master English the way it should be.
/t/, almost by definition, is not voiced. t and tt may be voiced in some AmE ( and a few BrE) dialects, but not in word-final position or before /s/.

Status
Not open for further replies.