Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
(source: Iceberg Slim – Pimp, The story of my life)

The section that contains the expression:

”I took a furnished three-bedroom vacancy in Top's building. It was a gold-andred dream after the Haven. The runt really freaked this pad off. I guess she felt at home at last.”

Background:

Slim and his girl got enough money to move to a new, more luxurious apartment. The girl (the runt) likes the new pkace very much, she ’really freaked this pad off’ –but what this expression exactly mean?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I strongly suspect that nobody knows any more what freaked ... off means. It is obsolete sub-cultural (and possibly regional) slang. It has faded from usage completely. You will just have to make your best guess based on the context. My guess would be she really loved it.

A pad is still understandable. It is an apartment or home, or at least it used to mean that back in the 50's and 60's. Equivalent current slang would be a crib.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS What' 'gold-andred'? Is it a typo for 'gold-handled'? (which means 'the best money can buy' - often applied to coffins (which may be why Slim chose it - if he did:))

b

PPS - I think I may have got my idioms mixed up. A top-of-the-range coffin is usually brass-handled, though I suppose a real plutocrat could go for gold. The missing hyphen seems much mor likely. ;-)

Last edited:

mrghd

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I think it is just a mistyping of gold-and-red. But I like your interpretation as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.